Who Will Come After Mandela?

Editorial Notebook

We welcomed Nelson Mandela with open arms and roaring cheers. We sang for him, we laughed for him and we (almost) cried for him.

Still, some have questioned whether the South African president was worthy to join the ranks of George Washington and Winston Churchill, the only other individual honorary degree recipients whose awards were presented at a special ceremony separate from Commencement or anniversary celebrations.

There is little doubt that Nelson Mandela is a great man, worthy of our utmost praise and hence, an honorary degree from Harvard. Yet why have all the special degree recipients been male politicians? Surely there have been scientists, entertainers, humanitarians or teachers (and maybe even female ones) who have contributed as much or more to humanity.

Most likely, the answer is pragmatism. Politicians are busy people and often not available to attend Harvard's June Commencement. Further, political figures are often tied to specific moments. Washington, for example, received his degree on the brink of the Revolutionary War.

But even if the timing of these special ceremonies is motivated only by the recipients' schedules, it is all too easy to place these men in a special category. The headline in The Crimson announcing Mandela's visit read "Nelson Mandela to Receive Rare Harvard Honor." Mandela did not really receive a rare honor--many others have received honorary degrees each year. He just received this honor at a rare time of the year. Yet we are now led to think of Mandela in a triad of great men with Washington and Churchill.

Incessantly covered by the media, politicians receive greater name recognition, physical protection and accolades than members of other professions. The hoopla Mandela received only confirms society's elevation of politicians to demi-gods. Perhaps, in the future, Harvard will promote a sense of appreciation for members of other professions by awarding the University's next "rare honor" to, say, a female scientist. --MELISSA K. CROCKER