Sophomore Hosts Emmy-Winning Show

Sports program for kids airs on regional cable television channel

By Monica M. Ramirez, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Aneesh V. Venkataraman '01 is engaged in more than just classes and problem sets these days. As a host for an Emmy Award winning television show, Venkataraman now writes scripts, partly produces and hosts "Kids Talk Sports," the only interactive call-in sports talk show for kids.

"Sports is the universal language of kids," Venkataraman said.

Jody Snider, the show's executive producer, said many professional sports casters were interviewed for the position, but Venkataraman's "professionalism and confidence" made him the best candidate.

His young age also helps kids relate to him, Snider said.

Venkataraman shares the set with two younger teens who help interview the guests and another who reports on sporting events.

"Kids Talk Sports" presents interviews, sports highlights, trivia, sports tips and informative features, designed exclusively for children aged 9 to 15 years old.

Venkataraman described the show as "an adult show wrapped in kid material."

The show airs live on Sundays at 7 p.m. and is rebroadcast Mondays at 3:30 p.m. on the New England Cable News Network, which reaches more than 2.3 million homes in the New England area.

Athletes including Nancy Kerrigan, Drew Bledsoe and Todd Collins have appeared on the show. The young television personalities have also interviewed Michael Jordan, Shannon

Miller, Penny Hardaway, Rebecca Lobo and other accomplished athletes.

The show's interview with Drew Bledsoe earned "Kids Talk Sports" a 1997 Emmy Award for Sports Specials.

A Wellesley, Mass., native, Venkataraman, who is also a Crimson editor, has been involved with television and radio for more than six years.

He began his broadcasting career in the seventh grade when a local cable-access station came to his school's science fair.

The station's reporter did not show up, and Venkataraman volunteered to interview the fair's participants; he was then invited back by the station to learn how to edit.

"Looking back at this experience, I can say that what I am being paid to do now, as a job, is something that I've always wanted to do," he said. "I have a lot of fun."

Venkataraman began reporting in 1992 for a WBZ interactive radio news program for kids, where he learned about news reporting and the technical aspects involved in broadcasting.

In 1995, he started to report for "Kid Company's Sports World," often filling in for the host and anchoring the news.

It was not until this summer that the host of "Kid Company's Sports World" left and the host position opened. The name of the program was also changed to "Kids Talk Sports."

According to Snider, Venkataraman was one of the top two candidates for the position and has "a wonderful on-air presence."

Venkataraman, a government concentrator, said he is interested in pursuing a career in political journalism and broadcasting.

This past summer he worked as an intern for CBS News in Washington, D.C. He worked for the NBC News affiliate in Boston during the 1997-1998 school year