Free Goods, I-Banks Dominate Fair

By Marla B. Kaplan, Contributing Writer

More than 2,000 students swarmed at last Friday's Career Forum in the Gordon Indoor Track and Tennis Center in search of business cards, free giveaways and, in some cases, jobs.

Investment banks and consulting companies dominated the forum, passing out T-shirts, frisbees, stuffed animals, mugs and pens bearing corporate logos to attract students to their tables.

"There were great toys," said Chris C. Rollins '00.

According to Bill Wright-Swadel, director of the Office of Career Services, 144 companies from across the country spoke to students at the fair.

This year's fair was unique, Wright-Swadel said, because of the large number of young alumni representing the companies.

"Not only do students have the opportunity to talk to a representative, but very often that person has gone through Harvard as well," Wright-Swadel said. "They have a perspective on what students have done, and students can relate in a very clear way."

Elizabeth Hren '97 attended the forum as a representative of Capital One, an information-based marketing company, to speak with students.

While a few students brought resumes, she said most were just trying to learn about the types of opportunities at the fair.

As for Capital One, Hren said she was trying to show students her perspective on a job "where you can see different aspects of business." A company like Capital One, she said, is ideal for recent graduates because "it gives a lot of responsibility to junior people and there is an opportunity for new employees to make an impact."

Of the 2,200 to 2,400 students who attended the fair, most were seniors, Wright-Swadel said.

Pressure of getting a job persuaded D. Lawson DeVries '00 to attend the forum.

"Three of my roommates already have job offers," DeVries said.

He, along with Rollins, signed lists at company tables to find out more about different types of career opportunities.

"It was still just an artificial glimpse at the companies," DeVries said. "When you know people, that's when you get honest perspectives."

In the past few years, Wright-Swadel said, increasing numbers of first-years, sophomores and juniors have used the forum to explore career possibilities.

"It's become an opportunity for just about everyone," he said.

Ama K. Karikari '02 said the most important things she got out of the fair were contact names and basic knowledge of various industries.

"I got broad information about companies' goals so that I can make wiser decisions of what companies I want to work for in the future," Karikari said.

She said the biggest problem with the fair was the lack of variety in types of companies, as it appeared to be mostly dominated by investment banks and consulting firms.