Few Attend Council Debate

By Eric S. Barr, Contributing Writer

There were more candidates on the stage than people in the audience at the Cambridge City Council's candidate forum last night.

About 15 candidates spoke on business relations, municipal finance and traffic issues at the forum, held at Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School. Less than a dozen in the audience were not associated with the media.

Glenn S. Koocher '71, host of the local television show "Cambridge Inside Out," mediated the discussion between the three panels of five to six candidates each.

Let's Talk Business

Some candidates expressed hostility toward large corporations in Cambridge during the first discussion on business retention and corporate finance.

"I don't believe that these large corporations are giving jobs to the citizens of Cambridge," said council candidate Helder "Sonny" Peixoto.

Candidate Henrietta Davis said she agreed, adding that large companies could be replaced with other small businesses.

"Large corporations are not what we want our whole economy to be based on," Davis said.

Current city councillor Katherine Triantafillou, who is running for re-election, said small businesses deserve the council's attention.

"There's a lot of energy going into small startups," Triantafillou said. "I think the key is reaching out to these new companies."

Candidates David Maher and Vincent Dixon voiced support for larger businesses.

"I think that we need to have a mix of businesses," Maher said. "I would like to see an approach that would welcome business. There has been a real 'us versus them' mentality in dealing with business."

Dixon called for Cambridge to adopt a well-defined economic policy.

"What we need to do is knit together the business community and education. I have suggested the creation of an office of business," Dixon said.

When candidates were asked about their views regarding the disparity between the corporate and individual property tax rates, few addressed the question directly.

Davis and Triantafillou said they saw no problems with the current tax rates. According to Davis, businesses should be responsible for a large share of the tax burden. Triantafillou said Cambridge's tax rates are not much higher than those of surrounding cities.

Peixoto blamed Harvard's policy of buying homes in Cambridge for the problem because it decreases the tax base.

"Those are the people that I'd go after," Peixoto said.

Pexioto, a police officer for the past seven years, argued that Cambridge needs to focus more on public safety. He said Cambridge police have not been giving enough attention to sexually violent crimes and other violence against women.

Davis, who is seeking her third term, put priority on the issue of new jobs being created in Cambridge that are filled by individuals living outside the city.

She also listed traffic issues, expanding open spaces in Cambridge, and affordable housing as issues she wanted to address.

Breaking the Gridlock

During the second discussion, candidates were in some agreement that traffic was a major issue in Cambridge.

Robert C. Winters, a council candidate and preceptor in Harvard's math department, argued that the city should sponsor more bike auctions. He also advocated more housing near public transportation as a way to alleviate traffic congestion.

Erik Snowberg, a candidate and MIT student, suggested that Cambridge improve its bike lanes.

"What are supposedly bicycle lanes are not much more than double-parking lanes," Snowberg said.

Candidate James Williamson said the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority should not implement any more public transportation service cutbacks in Cambridge.

Candidate David Trumbull criticized measures to discourage driving.

"Limiting parking spaces is not going to help these people who need to get from one end of the city to the other," he said.

Candidates also discussed some issues not directly brought up by Koocher's questions.

Trumbull said the markets should have less government regulation, citing the requirement that coffee shops buy $500 licenses to hold poetry readings as a regulation he disagrees with.

Snowberg called for better communication between students and non-students.

"There has been a barrier between the students and the rest of the community. It's time for us to bring those two communities together," Snowberg said.

Sullivan said there is a need for more affordable housing in Cambridge, and added that he felt services for senior citizens and youth should receive more attention.

Other Cambridge City Council candidates are: Kathleen Born, Jim Braude, Jeff Chase, Charles Christenson, Marjorie Decker, Anthony Galluccio, Dottie Giaccobbe, Robert Goodwin, David Hoicka, William Jones, Alan Nidle, Kenneth Reeves, Michael Sullivan, Tim Toomey, and Daejanna Worwood-Malone.