Gates to Host Innovative New PBS Series on African History

By Garrett M. Graff, Contributing Writer

A groundbreaking look at the history of the "Dark Continent," hosted by Afro-American Studies Department Chair Henry Louis "Skip" Gates Jr., will premier in the United States Monday on the Public Broadcasting System (PBS), officials announced this week.

The six-part series, entitled "Wonders of the African World with Henry Louis Gates Jr.," will challenge the Western view that Africa was a primitive continent until it was "civilized" by white people, Gates said in a press release.

"As a black American, I know what it's like to have your history stolen from you," said Gates, the great-great-grandson of slaves and Du Bois Professor of the Humanities.

In fact, Gates said the program, filmed in 12 African countries, will showcase the continent as a vibrant community alive with history and stories.

"These were very intelligent, subtle and sophisticated people, with organized societies and great art," he said.

PBS has been working with Gates for almost two years in making the series.

"Gates represents PBS on its best day," said John Wilson, a programming executive at PBS. "He's smart, funny and engaging,"

In the series, Gates visits the ancient cities of Great Zimbabwe, Mapungubwe and Kerma, the first capital of the ancient black kingdom Nubia.

Each hour-long episode explores a different portion of Africa's heritage. One episode will focus on Ethiopia's role as a holy land for Africans and includes a chance encounter with Minister Louis Farrakhan in the west African city of Addis Ababa.

Another episode is devoted to an expedition to Timbuktu in Mali, a trip that brought Gates into contact with the modern-day slavery that still exists in some African nations.

"I wanted to bring this lost African world into the consciousness of the larger public, black and white," Gates said.

Gates had many unusual experiences over the yearlong filming of the series, including riding a camel through the Sahara desert with Tuareg nomads and hoisting himself up a rock face to reach the oldest church in Ethiopia.

At one point, Gates had his body encased in "healing sands" by a local.

"I can't believe that this man...persuaded me to take all my clothes off in the middle of the desert," Gates said.

The program also will focus on the emotional odyssey Gates embarked on when he returned to the cradle of black civilization.

Gates, who was named one of Time Magazine's "25 Most Influential Americans" in 1997, said this is the first time an African-American has hosted a program looking back on African culture.

"You might think you know the subject but after he's taken you through it, it only leaves you with more questions," PBS' Wilson said.

The six-part series will run Monday through Wednesday from 9 to 11 p.m. on PBS.