Group Urges Comfort, Not Activism

By John M. Gravois, Contributing Writer

Think of them as the un-BGLTSA.

No Liza Minelli posters. No politics. The founders of BOND, who recruited members with non-descript signs last week, promise a new social space where students can discuss sexuality--if they want to.

Beyond Our Normal Differences (BOND) is a group "concerned with providing a social space for Harvard undergraduates...where members can feel more comfortable with issues pertaining to sexual orientation and gender identity," the founders wrote in a statement. "The point of the group is not to talk about sexual orientation but to have social events both on and off campus."

The budding group is the brain-child of Sean Bennett '01, Clifford S. Davidson '02 and Alexander Boni-Saenz '01. But they're not the only ones behind this idea: 45 undergraduates have already responded to BOND's posters and expressed interest in helping out with the group's growth, officials say.

The group went public during National Coming out Week (October 10-16), during which the Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender and Supporters' Alliance (BGLTSA) postered the Yard with eye-catching signs and played music in front of Widener Library.

BOND's enigmatic placards have consisted of nothing but an e-mail address and a one-sentence message: "Want to find a social organization that doesn't draw a lot of attention to your sexuality?"

After a formal founding meeting last Sunday, BOND has become more conspicuous and is now planning social events on and off campus and a confidential "e-group" for students who are in the closet. Straight, out, and closeted students have all expressed interest.

Attempting to gain legitimacy within the College administration, the founders have submitted their constitution to University Hall for approval, and they have acquired two Faculty sponsors, whose names have yet to be revealed by group officials.

"We are providing something that many students have expressed a desire for but that doesn't currently exist," the founders wrote.

Unlike the BGLTSA, BOND's mission is decidedly non-activist.

"We have no political agenda," the founders stated to interested parties in an introductory e-mail message. "In fact, the point of this group is to provide an environment free from sexuality-based politics."

For students interested in joining the group's mailing list, their e-mail address is: harvards@hotmail.com. BOND's first meeting is scheduled for this Friday, with a time and place to be announced over the list.