Suspected Yard Burglar Pleads Not Guilty

By Garrett M. Graff, Contributing Writer

The suspected 'Yard burglar' was arraigned in Middlesex County District Court on Monday.

Andre Stuckey, 20, of Long Beach, Calif., was charged with five counts of receiving stolen property less than $250, one count of using a stolen credit card and one count of trespassing, officials said.

He pleaded not guilty to all the charges. Bond for Stuckey was set at $50,000.

Since he could not make bail, Stuckey remained in the Middlesex County Jail at 5 Western Ave. in Cambridge last night.

"He's a guest at our hotel for the time being," Brian Greeley of the Middlesex County Sheriff's office said.

Stuckey will appear in court for a pre-trial hearing on Nov. 17.

Harvard police are still considering additional charges against him.

"All the incidents are still under investigation," said HUPD spokeswoman Peggy A. McNamara. "Whatever evidence we find may still be presented to the DA," she said.

Stuckey declined to be interviewed by The Crimson. His lawyer, Robert K. Leroi, could not be reached for comment.

Reports of missing items from Matthews Hall continued to trickle in to HUPD headquarters over the weekend. The final toll of the break-ins to Matthews, Weld and Thayer Halls over the last four weekends is still not known.

Meanwhile, McNamara said student awareness is critical to preventing this kind of crime in the future.

McNamara has noticed an increase in the number of calls from students reporting suspicious people in the Yard. Calls are crucial to allowing HUPD to do its job, she said, and stopping trespassers before they rob.