Wellesley Zero-Tolerance Alcohol Policy May Be Ineffective

By David C. Newman, Contributing Writer

The city of Wellesley's recent tightening of its underage drinking

policy will probably have only a marginal impact on campus alcohol use, students at Wellesley College said yesterday.

The strict new policy, which authorizes police officers to issue a summons to underage drinkers on the first offense and to make an arrest on the second offense, went into effect on November 15, according to the Wellesley News, the college's weekly newspaper.

The policy replaces a three-strikes-and-you're-out policy on underage drinking like the one currently used in Cambridge.

While Wellesley Dean of Students Geneva Walker-Johnson said she thinks students are taking the new policy seriously, students said they were skeptical that the new policy would have much of a deterrent effect.

Christine L. Dobridge, a Wellesley sophomore, said the city's promotional campaign appears to be aimed at Wellesley High School students, rather than at the college.

"I think people drink responsibly here," she said.

Dobridge said she doesn't anticipate an increased flow of Wellesley students coming to Cambridge to drink, especially in light of MIT's recent crackdown on alcohol.

"People who drink on campus are going to continue to drink on campus," she said.

Walker-Johnson said that the college's alcohol policy emphasizes concern for students' health and education about the consequences of drinking, rather than penalties.

Jessica A. Brommelhoff, a Wellesley senior, said the college's policy does "all that can reasonably be done."

The new town policy, she said, goes too far.

"It's really condescending, in my opinion," Brommelhoff said, adding that she didn't think the policy would significantly affect college students anyway.

But Dobridge said the policy might make students less likely to get medical help when drunk for fear of being arrested.

Walker-Johnson said that is precisely the situation the school wants to avoid.

"What I don't want to see is underground [drinking]," she said.

Vincent Juliani, the chair of the Wellesley Board of Selectmen, said the alcohol policy was targeted at anyone under the age of 21, high school and college students alike. He said he was optimistic that it will help to curb underage drinking.

As for the concern that the strict policy will keep students from getting needed medical help, he answered that, "we hope not."

"Hopefully, concerned people will work together," Juliani said.

According to the Wellesley News, Walker-Johnson and College Chief of Police Steven Healy have backed the policy, saying that the new standards will add accountability to the college's existing policy.

But Walker-Johnson said she doubts that police officers will make a significant number of arrests. Juliani said police do have "some discretion left" as to whether a particular situation warrants a summons or an arrest.

Dobridge said that while underage drinking will continue at the college, some students may exercise more caution.

"People will be more careful about where they drink and how they behave when they're drunk," she said.