Brett Nowak Makes U.S. National Junior Team

By Michael R. Volonnino, Crimson Staff Writer

USA Hockey named freshman winger Brett Nowak to its 2000 National Junior Team roster yesterday.

The team will participate in the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) World Junion Championship that will be held from Dec. 25-Jan. 4 in Skelleftea and Umea, Sweden.

The tournament features the top players under 20 years old.

Nowak has made an impact on the Crimson in just his first few games. A tough, bruising winger who is difficult to knock off the puck, he has played on the team's top line from opening day.

Nowak leads the team in scoring, racking up four goals and six assists in seven games. His offensive totals place him fourth overall in the ECAC and will be the conference's lone representative.

His selection means Harvard will lose its top gun for at least two non-conference games over the Christmas break. The Crimson will participate in the Maricuui Classic, a mini-tournament held Dec. 29-30 in Minneapolis, Minn.

Nowak should also miss Harvard's game against Beanpot rival Northeastern on Dec. 19. Team USA has an exhibition game in Sweden on Dec. 20.

The U.S. team looks to rebound from a mediocre showing in the 1999 IIHF World Juniors, which finished 3-4-0.

Those expected to lead the squad will be Maine forward Barrett Heisten who had two goals and three assists in last year's tournament and Michigan defensman Jeff Jillson.

The Buffalo Sabres drafted Heisten 20th overall in last year's entry draft, while the San Jose Sharks claimed Jillson with the 14th overall pick.

If Nowak continues his strong rookie season, he could also be a first round selection.

"For the first time since I've been coaching the Junior Team, I feel we have a well known commodity of players who bring strong leadership to the table," U.S. National Coach Jeff Jackson said.