Crimeds Nab 'Poon Prankster on 14 Plympton Roof

By Garrett M. Graff, Crimson Staff Writer

A bungled break-in lead to a tense situation on Plympton Street Friday night that ended with a shivering sophomore's freedom hung in the balance.

A staff writer for the Harvard Lampoon, a semi-secret Sorrento Square social organization which used to occasionally publish a so-called humor magazine, was caught trying to vandalize The Harvard Crimson building.

Just a little after 10 p.m., as an event at The Crimson was ending, Crimson security personnel discovered Daniel Chun '02 on the roof of The Crimson carrying the remains of a Thursday night lobster dinner.

Chun was taken captive by Adam S. Cohen '01 and placed under surveillance by Crimson editorial chair Noah D. Oppenheim '00.

A high-powered conference ensued on the Crimson's roof as Lampoon executives pleaded for their incompetent henchperson to be set free.

While Chun's getaway car driver paced on Plympton Street, Crimson President Joshua H. Simon '00 offered to return Chun to Lampoon President Matthew C. Warburton '00 for a modest price.

Warburton, though, was unwilling to negotiate, and said he didn't care if Chun was ever returned, according to Simon.

Warburton remembers differently. He characterized the discussion as "amicable."

"I offered him a Cider Jack and a Heineken[in exchange for Chun]," he said. "Both of these goodwill gestures were refused."

Throughout the ordeal, Chun sat quietly with his hands stuffed in his gray sweatshirt, shaking his head and shivering in the below-freezing temperatures.

After several hours of the stalemate, Crimson executives took pity on the miserable Chun and politely delievered him to the door of the Lampoon.

"Dude, that kid was a mess," Simon said yesterday. "They're not making Lampoon editors the way they used to."

The Crimson also returned the contents of Chun's bucket to the Lampoon's castle early Saturday morning via a funnel through the mail slot.

Warburton said Chun's raid was conducted without the sponsorship or prior knowledge of the Lampoon.

"I would imagine it was an act of vigilantism, but he is a dear friend," he said.

Chun could not be reached for comment last night.