Clinton Calls to Expand Americorps

HARVARD BRIEFS

By M. DOUGLAS Omalley

Five years after President Clinton kicked off Americorps, he again challenged America's youth to get in involved in their communities yesterday at the University of Maryland in College Park.

Clinton's speech was the first step in an Americorps national recruitment program to expand membership from its current 40,000 to 100,000 by 2002.

Clinton was joined in his call by former Pennsylvanvian Senator Harris Wofford, who is currently the CEO of the Corporation for National Service, which oversees Americorps.

In an interview with The Crimson yesterday, Wofford said Americorps had "come of age" and was poised, in these prosperous economic times, to galvanize students to improve their communities.

"The major theme is Americorps needs young people because American needs them. This is a do-something generation and this is the way to do it," he said.

Wofford saw many parellels between Americorps enthusiasm and the zeal of the 1970s are Peace Corps.

"It's the same spirit of wanting the adventure and making a difference. There's a tremendous parallel between the Peace Corps and Americorps."

However, Wofford admitted that while Americorps can produce manpower, communities need to be involved with funding to assist volunteers.

"Nobody is saying only volunteers can fix the problem. There needs to be public investment. Almost in all of these programs, we can supply the people," he said.