Council to Poll Students on $40K

By Jonelle M. Lonergan, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The $40,000 question still remains to be answered.

Tensions ran high at last night's Undergraduate Council meeting, where two hours of debate ended in a decision to randomly survey 400 students on how best to spend the once lost funds.

In his opening remarks, President Noah Z. Seton '00 promoted his idea of putting the question to a binding referendum.

"The student body never really has a chance to have any say about out budget," Seton said. "You never really get to hear directives from the student body about how they want their money spent."

Council members in favor of the referendum talked about regaining the respect of students by placing the decision in their hands.

"I think we should make one last effort to show the campus that we do care what they think," said Richard B. Tenorio '00, who is also a Crimson editor.

"We need to put ourselves out there, stripped of our pretensions," agreed Francesca J. Petrosino '02. "If a lot of people don't turn out, that's the chance you take."

Others spoke of putting more faith in the student body.

"Harvard students are smart and capable, and they'll give this consideration," said former council member Justin D. Lerer '99.

"You let them elect you," added Lerer, who is also a Crimson editor.

Opposition to the motion was just as heated. Chad A. Wathington '00 expressed concern that not enough voters would turn out.

"Eighteen percent--that's going to be our minimum to decide what to do with $40,000?" he asked, referring to the turnout of voters for the general elections held in the fall.

"People are not going to give this careful consideration," said Alexis B. Karteron '01. "They're going to sit down at their computers,...think about it for probably 10 seconds and decide."

In the end, the council decided in a 19-18 vote to instead put the question to a random sample of students. The council's executive board will conduct the poll and results will be discussed at the March 7 council meeting.

In other council business, Michael D. Shumsky '00, the vice chair of Student Affairs Committee, announced a new plan to help students get cheaper textbooks on the Web.

Shumsky said the committee is looking into the possibility of starting a Web site with links to various Internet book-sellers. These sites pay a commission to any Web site that brings them customers, he said.

"If even half the students ordered even half their books online, I can see earning [$50,000] or $60,000 a semester," Shumsky said.

Also, newly elected Treasurer Sterling P. A. Darling '01 said in his remarks that due to the change in officers, student groups may have to wait a while to receive their checks.

"Some things are still in transition right now.... It's best if [student groups] remind me directly," Darling said, asking council members to deliver the message to their constituents.