M. Volleyball Buries Daniel Webster

By Maisa A. Badawy, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Already ahead 10-2 in the second game against an inexperienced Daniel Webster team, men's volleyball sophomore Brian Stevenson stepped up to the line to serve another easy point.

All eyes in the Malkin Athletic Center were fixed on the ball as it left Stevenson's hand and sailed over the net.

All eyes, except those of Eagle freshman Michael Woytek, watched the ball float--and nail Woytek square on the head.

Harvard (3-3, 0-0 EIVA-Hay) breezed past Daniel Webster 15-2, 15-5, and 15-5 last night in a contest where the Eagles (1-1) simply did present a challenge to the Crimson.

The margin between the two teams was so great, junior co-captain Ed Pankau called the match-up "the worst competition of the season."

The first game lasted only 14 minutes, which means that the Crimson was scoring over a point per minute. Harvard raced to 14 points at an even quicker pace, only a couple of poor serves prevented an earlier end to the game.

In the second game, Harvard coach Tom Wilson played some of his six newcomers to the team who did not see much time in Sunday's 3-2 loss to LIU-Southhampton. The Crimson didn't miss a beat, peppering Daniel Webster with every conceivable shot--including the serve.

Harvard received contributions from every member of the team. It presented a balanced attack with many players scoring.

"Every player on our team did a good job today", Wilson said.

The Crimson dominated to such a degree that Wilson decided to use the third game for a little experimentation.

He implemented the new "thug" offense the team has been executing in practice. The Crimson usually plays a two-passer system that splits the court in half. The thug offense puts Harvard's best passer in the middle of the court for five of the six rotations, so he can utilize all of the hitters--especially their outsides.

"We run the middle well, it's the outside we need to use more", said co-captain A.J. Lewis.

Hopefully, by being able to use the outside more, the Crimson will be more successful in transition.

"It was our transition that killed us at Southhampton", Lewis said. "Hopefully, we will have better transition in intense competition, too."

Intense competition is around the corner for the men's volleyball team. This weekend the Crimson will head to Vassar College for the Burgundy and Gray Invitational.

"We surprised a lot of teams last year when we won the whole tournament", Lewis said.

The Invitational should provide a good preparation for the upcoming Princeton-Rutgers weekend at Harvard on the 27th and 28th. The deuce opens the Crimson's divisional schedule.