Patrick to Leave Harvard Post At End of Spring

Husband Close to Securing Job at Justice

By Sarah E. Scrogin

Director of the Office of Human Resources Diane Patrick will officially be leaving Harvard this spring, now that the confirmation of her husband Deval as assistant attorney general for civil rights is secure.

The members of Senate Judiciary Committee--including several conservative Republicans--warmly received Deval Patrick '78 during confirmation hearings this week. Despite some initial opposition, Patrick's nomination is expected to be approved by the committee and the full Senate.

"I feel very strongly that as a nation we will rise or fall together," Patrick said in his testimony earlier this week.

Diane Patrick, who did not return phone calls this week, said last week that she would leave for Washington if her husband was confirmed.

But Patrick also said she would remain at Harvard through the spring to tie up loose ends.

"If and when my husband is confirmed he will be needed in Washington as soon as possible and he will transfer his personal life to Washington," Patrick said last week. "I will remain to settle things in terms of schooling, housing and other needs to be addressed."

Administrators have said Patrick's leaving the University would be a serious loss for Harvard and her office.

Since taking her present job in June 1992, Patrick has brought direction to an office which had been seen six different directors in six years.

Patrick said she will also remain to ensure a smooth transition for her replacement. But interviews with office insiders indicate that Patrick's departure has already caused serious problems with morale in the office.

Three key members of Patrick's staff--Director of Communications Carolyn Chamberlin, Director of Benefits Joan Bruce and Associate Director of Retirement Benefits Marianne L.Howard-are leaving the office this month.

Insiders say several of the top officialsremaining in the office are vying for Patrick'sposition.

The Associated Press contributed to thereporting of this story.