Former New York Governor Discusses Morals in Politics

By Robin M. Wasserman, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Where have all the heroes gone? Former New York governor Mario M. Cuomo said he thinks he knows and, he warns, they're not coming back.

The former Democratic governor of New York spoke to a group of over 600 at the Kennedy School of Government's ARCO forum last night on the topic, "The Heroic Message: Raising the Aspirations of the American Community."

During the address, which was sponsored by the Institute of Politics (IOP), Cuomo outlined a liberal agenda that would take advantage of the challenges and benefits of the new millennium.

He explained his theory that modern American society, having killed off its greatest heroes--John F. Kennedy '40, Martin Luther King, Jr., Robert F. Kennedy '48--needs something new, to draw us together: a "heroic idea."

"It's an interesting time for him to be here," said IOP Vice Chair C.J. Mahoney '00. "It's people like Cuomo who'll be saying influential things about where the Democratic party goes."

Cuomo did not disappoint.

Citing the immense disparity in the lifestyles of the rich and poor, Cuomo criticized the complacency of those in the "shining city" of the rich toward the plight of the residents of the "second city" of the poor.

"The shining city and the second city are further apart from each other than ever," he said, "further apart than anywhere else in the free world."

The parties have neglected this issue, Cuomo said, out of fear of exacerbatingthe problems or drawing fire for being to "soft"and "liberal."

He proposed the projected $4 trilliongovernment surplus could be put towards socialsecurity, education and health care reform.

Cuomo suggested the crucial question for thenext presidential election: "What do we want forAmerica? What kind of nation do we choose to be?"

He warned the audience that waiting for heroesto come along to unite the nation could bedisastrous.

"Don't count on a heroic figure, not a man or awoman, to bring us together," he said. "The age ofheroes is behind us, perhaps irretrievably."

Cuomo said his theory is to replace theindividual hero with the heroic message,"something powerful enough to unite and uplift allof us."

He urged his listeners to recognize thenecessity of community.

"We're all interconnected and interdependent,"he said. According to Cuomo, this interdependenceis equally applicable to international anddomestic issues.

Cuomo closed his address with a plea forHarvard students to follow his example.

"I don't think it's enough for me to say, `Iled a good life,'" he said. "I am not enough forme...we're in this to try to make the whole placebetter, and until we do, you, the people at theKennedy School and Harvard, should not besatisfied."

Many forum participants were impressed with thespeech.

"I thought it was excellent. I'd vote for himfor president if he were running. I especiallyliked his ideas about community, I think that'sthe key to our success as a country," said MichaelJ. Giordano '02.

Graduate School of Education student Amy Chanalso said she appreciated Cuomo's address.

"I thought it was great, inspirational--itmakes me want to go out and do something," shesaid.

While Cuomo spent most of the eveningdiscussing the general liberal agenda, he didcomment on one current political issue during thequestion and answer period.

Asked whether he thought Hillary Clinton shouldrun for the Senate in New York, Cuomo said, "Iwould not say she should be running or sheshouldn't be running."

There are several issues for her to consider,he pointed out, and eventually she will have to"look into [her] heart, look into [her] stomach,and do what feels right."

Cuomo also quieted laughter about a potentialDan Quayle run for the presidency with anadmonishment. "You're wrong about Quayle."

He refused to speculate on presidentialcandidates, but did suggest both his son Andrewand the First Lady might make good Democratic vicepresidential candidates