Ford Will Join IOP As Visiting Fellow

Seven other fellows will serve during spring term

By Ari Behar, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

In addition to the seven regular fellows joining the Institute of Politics (IOP) this semester, former president Gerald R. Ford will be in residence at the Kennedy School of Government (KSG) for two days in March as a visiting fellow.

The fellows, usually political figures in periods of transition between public office and private positions, lead study groups and serve as "an inspiration for students," said Adrianne L. Kaufmann, KSG spokesperson.

"This semester in particular, there are quite a few who are transitioning," said Theresa A. Donovan, associate director of the IOP and director of the fellows program.

Hubert H. "Skip" Humphrey III, former Minnesota attorney general, will be in residence following his loss last November to former professional wrestler Jesse "The Body" Ventura in the state gubernatorial race.

William O. Taylor, chair of the board and CEO of the Globe Newspaper Company, joins the IOP as a representative of the media. Taylor, who became publisher of the Boston Globe in 1978, is also the director of the Boston Adult Literacy fund and president of the board of trustees of the Boston Public Library.

Fellow Myrth York, the first Democratic woman candidate for governor of Rhode Island, said she is looking forward to her time at the KSG.

"It's incredibly exciting just to be part of this program...and to be with the students," she said.

In addition to her run for governor, York is involved with various non-governmental organizations, including the Minority Business Enterprise Commission.

Barbara M. Barrett, executive vice president of the International Women's Forum, was the first woman to run for governor of Arizona in 1994. Barrett, who has also served on various trade and commerce committees, said she will organize her study group so it "will be drawing on both politics and business... because my background is in both politics andbusiness."

David M. Beasley was governor of South Carolinafrom 1996 until 1998 and served previously on theSouth Carolina House of Representatives for 13years. David Pryor served as a Democratic senatorfrom Arkansas from 1979 until 1996.

Jonathan Schwartz is an associate deputyattorney general for the U.S. Department ofJustice. He previously worked in the U.S.attorney's office in the southern district of NewYork.

Ford, who became the 38th president in 1974following the resignation of former presidentRichard M. Nixon, will be in residence andspeaking publicly March 16 and 17. Since hisfailed bid for re-election in 1976, he also hasbeen an active member of the Republican party andseveral charitable causes.

Harvard previously honored Ford at a meeting ofthe Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Club in 1974,where he received their man of the year award,according to the Ford Library.

All of the seven fellows lead non-credit studygroups for seven weeks, Donovan said. These studygroups are open to all undergraduates andcommunity members and begin Feb. 22. The titlesand subjects of the courses have not yet beenannounced