True Diversity Transcends Linguistic Limitations

Letters

To the editors:

Jia-Rui Chong's article on immigrants (Column, Jan. 25) is riddled with inconsistencies and half-truths. She asserts that immigrants need not and cannot become part of mainstream America. According to her, learning the English language and about America's democratic government would eradicate immigrants' cultures, and thus result in a homogeneous America.

No intelligent person wants America to be homogeneous; indeed, much of our strength lies in the fact that we are so diverse. But it's ludicrous to claim that learning the English language and about America's democratic government will make immigrants clones of white, middle-class men and women, as Chong thinks. Immigrants are the masters of their own culture: It will remain strong as long as it's passed on from generation to generation. The United States is diverse because of its diverse collection of peoples, not because of the diverse collection of languages that exist here.

Learning English, the world's language of business and commerce, will provide immigrants with their best chance for success. Those who claim otherwise are not in touch with the challenges new immigrants face. Immigrants come here to escape bad times in their own countries and to benefit from the opportunities the United States offers. Learning the language allows them to compete in the marketplace and helps them put food on the table.

Likewise, learning about America's democratic government enables immigrants to participate in the electoral process. Such knowledge about their new home empowers them; it does not undermine their native cultures one bit.

America's diverse peoples help make it great. But what good is that diversity if people from different ethnic backgrounds can't talk to and learn from each other? What good is that diversity if we don't understand the nation that we live in and the government that serves us? Diversity for the sake of diversity is worthless. For it to be worthwhile, it must improve and inspire us. It certainly should never place barriers between us. Unfortunately, allowing immigrants to avoid learning the language and about our values and government does just that: It leads to forced self-segregation and denies them the opportunities that others have. It's fine for immigrants to stick together to preserve aspects of their original culture, but it's disturbing when some have no choice but to remain together because of poor English skills.

Will having immigrants learn English eliminate racism? No, but neither will having them be fluent in just their native tongues. Immigrants' best chance at success lies not in clinging to the past but in looking toward the future. America, her values and democratic government, and her language are willing to provide that future. JOHN THOMAS '02   Feb. 4, 1999

The writer is co-director of the Newtowne Court Afterschool Program.