Former Track Coach Dies; McCurdy Coached 32 Years

William "Bill" McCurdy, who coached Harvard track for 32 years, passed away Thursday at the age of 82.

According to the Boston Globe, McCurdy had been battling a blood condition, polycythemia vera.

McCurdy arrived at Harvard in 1950, fresh from Springfield College, where he coached freshman track and cross country as a graduate student.

After serving as an assistant coach at Harvard for two years, he became the head coach of men's cross country and indoor and outdoor track.

McCurdy's mark still remains at Harvard in a very tangible way. Harvard named its outdoor track after him in 1985. McCurdy won the Harvard Medal for service to the University in 1992.

McCurdy held the position of head coach for 30 years. Under his command, Harvard cross country went 201-62-1 and won 10 Greater Boston Championship titles. The Crimson also won six Heptagonal championships and one IC4A championship.

In indoor track, Harvard went 132-30 and won 12 Greater Boston Championships. Harvard won indoor Heps eight times.

Outdoors, the Crimson went 112-26-1 and compiled 15 Greater Boston titles and five Heps titles.

McCurdy's legacy lives on in current coach Frank Haggerty '68, who ran for McCurdy as an undergraduate.

"He defined the word 'legend'" said Haggerty in a Harvard news release. "Bill was a legend while he was coaching, and not only to the kids who were at Harvard, but also to opponents and fellow coaches.

"Everyone had fabulous respect for him. To this day, many coaches remember him fondly and speak of him as one of the true pioneers of the sport."

Haggerty succeeded McCurdy in 1982.

McCurdy attended Stanford as an undergraduate and graduated in 1937. He entered the Army and graduated from officer candidate school in 1942.

He held various positions during World War II, several of which consisted of physical training or athletics.

McCurdy is survived by his wife, Virginia, and five children--William, Alexander, James, Allison, and Darcy.

McCurdy lived in Harvard, Mass., for 42 years.

"He was very inspirational," Haggerty said. "You saw him out there in his sweats and grab ready to go, and you couldn't help to be ready, too."