Squash Coach Doyle Steps Down After Seven Years at Helm

By Richard A. Perez, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

It's the end of an era for Harvard squash.

After leading the Harvard men's and women's squash teams to seven of the most successful years in the history of college sports, Coach Bill Doyle resigned this past weekend.

His decision came in part by his desire to move his family out of Boston. Doyle is relocating to New Orleans.

"[Doyle] just wanted a change of atmosphere and a way of life," sophomore Ze'ev Ben-Shachar said. "He was very upset to leave."

Doyle's retirement comes on the heels of yet another successful season for both of the Crimson squash teams.

The men's team wrapped up another in a long line of Ivy League titles en route to a solid 12-2 season. It was the seventh Ivy title in Doyle's seven years. Harvard's only two losses on the season came to perennial foe Trinity College, whom the Crimson finished runner-up to for the National Nine-Man championships.

The women's squad also just completed a spectacular season. The Crimson finished the season with a record of 12-1 and the Ivy League championship, with its only loss coming at the hands of Princeton in the national championship match.

Doyle has been at the helm of one of the most successful collegiate athletic programs in history.

In his seven seasons as coach of the Crimson, Doyle led the men's squad to an incredible 93-4 overall record, five National Nine-Man team championships and two USSRA Five-Man team titles in addition to the Ivy titles.

His performance as the women's squash coach has been equally impressive.

In his years with the Crimson, Doyle guided the women's team to an 86-3 overall mark, five WISRA national championships and five Ivy League titles.

Doyle's combined record as head of the men's and women's team was 179-7, an amazing .962 winning percentage.

Additionally, Doyle has coached 23 All-Americans and seven individual national champions in his tenure at Harvaed.

Doule's experience with squash is not limited to coaching-he was an exceptional player as well.

A 1985 graduate of Trinity College, Doyle was a four-time All American is squash. He captained his team to a third place showing as a junior and a second place finish in the nation as a senior. While at Trinity. Doyle was named the school's top male senior athlete.

After graduating, Doyle was raked in the to pop 15 in North America and remained in that position for several years. Doyle also chaired the World Professional Squash Association's Pro-Tour Committee and served as vice president of the National Intercollegiate Squash Racquts Association.

Several players said the Doyle's absence will be sorely felt as the Crimson faces the uncertainty of a new coach.

"We were upset when we found out, but we're trying to look at it as an oportunity for change, and change isn't necessrily a bad thing." junior Eric Lauer said. "We just hope that whoever we get as our next Coach can have a similar kind of relationship with us as [Doyle] did."

A replacement for Doyle has yet to be named.