Final Clubs "Settling in" to New Rules

HARVARD BRIEFS

By Victoria C. Hallett

Graduate members' agitation over lenient final club guest restrictions appears to be dying down, said Reverend Douglas W. Sears '69, Inter-Club Council (ICC) President.

At the Thursday night meeting of the ICC, the final clubs' governing body, graduates only minimally discussed the sweeping visitor policy changes that occurred in January and February.

"By the time people had gotten to the meeting, they had done some talking," Sears said. "People seem to be settling in."

The clubs that have not changed rules did not announce any upcoming policy reviews, Sears added.

Sears said lingering resentment is insignificant and concentrated among current members who view the final clubs as "function halls."

"There is some grumbling among undergraduates, but I think those are a minority," Sears said.

Sears said these feelings should dissipate when new members join the clubs.

"Kids coming into the clubs will know these are the rules," Sears said.

The next punch, the invitation and initiation process for joining a final club, will be held in the fall.

The spring punch is on a smaller scale than the fall punch, and usually only one or two of the eight all-male final clubs hold them, according to Sears.

Sears said this meeting would have been the opportunity for clubs to decide to hold a spring punch, but none of them discussed the idea.

The regular quarterly meeting was originally scheduled for Feb. 25, at the height of the controversy surrounding the clubs' stricter guest policies. But due to a snowstorm, the meeting was postponed until last Thursday.

In February, Sears said the meeting would be an opportunity for graduate presidents to talk about the policy changes. Sears said the controversy died down with the time delay.