blast off: shuttle facts

By L. R. Silverman

Beginning of shuttle services: In the mid to late `70s evening service began. Service hours increased as the years progressed.

Number of shuttle buses: Seven.

Number of large shuttles: Two "Blue Birds," each with a 33 person seating capacity.

Number of small shuttles: Five.

The scoop on the new shuttles: Overcrowding in the shuttles, especially from Currier to the Science Center, has raised concerns for safety. Carl Tempesta is in charge of a vehicle replacement program in which one old red shuttle is replaced by a new white and all-diesel shuttle each year. The smaller of the new shuttles has perimeter seating in order to allow for more capacity.

Number of new diesel shuttles: Four.

The shuttle that's been around the longest: A 1987 shuttle is now used as an alternate vehicle when two or more buses are down. (If shuttle walls could speak, this wily veteran shuttle would probably have its fair share of gossip.)

Shuttle inspections: Daily.

Shuttle Lost and Found: Yes, indeed! If you're missing a glove, a backpack or something more exciting, give the Passenger Transport Services a buzz (495-5279).

Where the shuttles dwell: 175 North Harvard St. in Harvard's Austin Campus, just past the stadium and a stone's throw from the mechanic. Can you get there by shuttle?