IN THE MEANTIME

Veritots

By David M. Rosenblatt

Three years constitutes the difference between a wide-eyed pre-frosh and a jaded Junior. Many a wizened third-year claims this college experience has been truly formative. But what if those three years constituted half, or even three-quarters of your entire life?

There is a small, yet active group of young people whose life-stage affords them a special perspective on Harvard life. These are not ambitious members of the Class of 2003 camping out on your futon, nor are they the never-washing teen hordes that flood Harvard Square every weekend. They are the youngest members of our community at 12 or 14 years old, and many have never lived elsewhere. Recently, we sought them out for their inimitable takes on the Harvard experience, and this is what they told us.

On study breaks

"It's when we have dessert."--Mikko Harvey,7, Leverett House

"When people take a break of studying . . . do you know how I know when there's gonna be a study break? [stands up] Someone will say [thrusts out hip and holds up arm in a college student pose, speaks in a valley girl accent]'Hey Elizabeth, we're going to have a study break today or tomorrow'...and then I go [jumps up and down]`Yay! Yay! Yay!'"--Elizabeth Ditmanson, 5, Leverett House

On the dining halls "I don't like it so much. I always beg to eat at home." ---Elizabeth "My friends like the frozen yogurt machine...they wish they had a dining hall."-Mikko "The ladies are a really good cooker and I really love the ladies who cook for the people."-Aisling,4, Currier House

On the Cambridge winter "I like the [Leverett Towers] courtyard better in the winter because you can have snowball fights, and sometimes if you throw a snowball at my dog, she'll catch it in her mouth and spit it out." -Elizabeth "We made a snowman and it was Keala-size...I carry this backpack to keep me safe." FM: What's in the backpack? "Snow pants." FM: What do they keep you safe from? LIST LIST "Snow!"-Alana Yang 5, Kirkland House (Keala, her sister, is two and a half)

On parents "They let me clean my room everyday."-Aisling "My dad looks at planets...they have a computer job and some work to do sometimes." -Conor Steel, 6, Currier House

On chemistry "Do you know how I made my magic potion? [holds out the vial of liquid strung around her neck] I put in two drops of green and one drop of blue and now it's black with green bubbles." -Alana

On career plans

"I want to teach big kids in a big class." --Aisling

"A police."--Conor

"I'm going to be famous."

FM: Why is that?

"Because I'm going to be in the newspaper!"--Alana

Fifteen Minutes thanks Alana, Conor, Miko, Aisling and Elizabeth for speaking with us.