Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line

At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions

Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists

‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam

‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

Harvard NAACP Plans Spring 'Freedom Ride'

By James S. Davis, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

With most of the bureaucratic work behind them, the Harvard chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)-made up of both undergraduate and graduate students-met for the first time as an official body last night at the Barker Center.

Both the requirements of organization-building and new initiatives were on the agenda, with chapter President Kamal A. Latham-a student at the Kennedy school of Government-declaring "I am a man of action."

The first major action for the chapter will be a "Freedom Ride," which the chapter is leading in response to a call put out by Rev. Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Push Coalition.

Over Spring Break, members are organizing a trip-which they say could include students from other Northeastern colleges-to Mississippi to register voters.

Other items on the agenda included a proposal to evaluate race relations on campus. Off campus, the chapter considered lobbying for funding increases for the Massachusetts Community Against Discrimination.

As an undergraduate at Temple University, he re-started that college's NAACP chapter.

"The NAACP here is going to be what you make it," Latham.

Already, committees have begun to work on a retreat for NAACP national leaders, to be held at Harvard this April. The chapter is currently planning a reception with NAACP President Kweizi Mfume at the Faculty Club.

The organization is also looking to establish ties with other campus organi-

zations. Keith E. Bernard '99, president of theBlack Men's Forum, expressed his organization'ssupport and anticipated working with the chapter.A representative from the Black StudentsAssociation also attended the meeting.

Though the chapter was then still unofficial,elections were held in October. Since thatelection, two board members resigned before theend of their terms.

The nascent chapter also faced proceduralproblems with the NAACP. Only on February 20 didthe National Convention ratify the chapter'scharter. Dean of students Archie C. Epps III gavefinal faculty approval for the organization onMarch 3