PBHA Seminar Encourages Service Careers

By Joyce K. Mcintyre, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Graduating seniors often see the job world as a choice between love--public-interest jobs that pay low and are often transitory--and money--the high salaried positions offered in the cold world of big business.

Not so, said 15 panelists on Saturday at a "Professions in the Public Spirit" conference held in Phillips Brooks House and sponsored by the Harvard Public Service Network (HPSN).

Speakers working for public-interest organizations ranging from AmeriCorps to the National Council for International Health said there are a number of stable, well-paying jobs available that "make a powerful, positive impact on communities."

The conference brought together students and professionals to discuss jobs "that promote civic engagement" and also give students guidance in how to get hired for such positions.

Assistant Dean of the College for Public Service Judith H. Kidd, director of Phillips Brooks House, said she hoped that students who are pursuing a liberal arts degree would leave the conference with a broadened sense of the types of professions they are qualified for.

The conference also gave students looking for public-interest jobs a set of instructions for a successful search.

"We want students to look forward to this as much as the recruiting fair in the fall," Kidd said.

Laura T. Lee '00 said she came to the conference to learn more about job opportunities. But she said she also got to talk to professionals on a more personal level and "hear about certain paths they've taken."

"Today has helped me reconcile my desire to do public service and also have a safe, comfortable life," Lee said.

First year David M. Rosenblatt '02 said he attended the conference to gather information and get inspired about work in the public sector.

"I'm looking for more information about how these type of jobs work out on a real level," he said.

Professionals spoke in panels focused on public policy and public health, international development and outreach, community organizing and technology and neighborhood outreach.

Eliot T. Putnam Jr. '61, president of the National Council for International Health and executive director of the Harvard Commission on Health Research and Development, said that students often feel overwhelmed by the decisions they face after college.

"But you have 30, 40, 50 years," he said. "Give yourself time."

De Witt C. Jones '79, executive director of the Massachusetts Urban Reinvestment Advisory Group, said individuals of all academic backgrounds could get jobs in not-for-profit organizations.

"We work in high finance, legal matters and property management," he said.

Kidd emphasized that the hiring schedule of not-for-profit firms is different than other businesses.

She said graduates should begin searching for positions in these organizations in early April so they can begin working immediately after their June graduation.

Students interested in obtaining the job schedule and suggestion materials distributed at the conference may call Bryan Richards, Administrator of the Harvard Public Service Network at 496-8622 or email him at bryan_richards@harvard.edu.