SAA Announces New Executive Board

HARVARD BRIEF

By Nathaniel L. Schwartz

The South Asian Association (SAA) announced its executive board for the '99-'00 academic year yesterday.

Aparna Sridhar '01 and Harini K. Reddy '01 will be replacing Uttam K. Tambar '99 and Gaurav A. Upadhyay '00 as the association's new co-presidents. Both Sridhar and Reddy have been involved with the SAA since they were first-years.

In their position paper, the two stated their belief that the SAA had the responsibility to expand its operations to include all of Harvard and the greater Boston area.

"The South Asian Association has the capacity and responsibility to build community on many levels," wrote Sridhar and Reddy, who were elected Sunday.

The duo wants to involve the organization in a new program called Kids' Rhythms, in which student ethnic organizations would teach cultural dances to local youths. The classes would culminate in a performance of the dances in an event resembling Harvard's Cultural Rhythms.

"Kids' Rhythms most embodies what we're trying to do for the SAA," said Sridhar, who is also a Crimson executive.

In addition to the new presidents, Lipi M. Patel '02 was elected as treasurer; Vikas Goyal '01 was elected as academic/political chair; Treeny Ahmed '00 was elected as cultural chair; Nikhil Kacker '02 was elected as social chair; Ankit B. Patel '02 was elected as secretary and Alina Das '01 was elected as outreach chair.