Money's What I Want...

By Bradley Davis, Finance Committee Chair

It does not consider controversial legislation. It does not make Crimson headlines. But in the shadows of some of the UC's more attention-grabbing actions. the 17th Council's Finance Committee has spent the spring term of 1999 quietly distributing its share of the student term bill fees to student groups. Thus far, the council has considered 63 applications for regular semester and spring-fall year-long grants, 15 project-based grant applications in the March round, and will shortly consider another 16 project-based grant applications in the April Round. The Finance Committee has recommended $22,893.64 for regular spring term grants, $2,540 in the March round of project-based grants, and $1,235 of the special dining services grant that Harvard Dining Services gives to the Undergraduate Council to distribute.

UC representatives that serve on Finance Committee have quite a bit demanded of them. In the end, however, many of them would gladly put in more time if necessary, as they are committed to giving student groups the best service possible. The biggest limitation on the committee's activities is one of money. While the average grant this term has been $350.00, one of the highest in the council's history, the rapid increase in the number of student groups has strained the committee's resources to the limit. With few exceptions, the Finance Committee can only recommend grants that are one-half to two-thirds of a group's request. Most student groups are forced to turn to other resources, or, more frequently, scale back their plans or go into debt to their own members, debts which sometimes cannot be paid back. These latter two options do not merely affect the group's members, though. The decrease in available activity, or the increase in the participation costs of a given student group, can deny the student body the opportunity to enjoy or take part in an activity that could have proven to be unique or meaningful.

The Finance Committee will continue to do the best possible job with the resources available to it; however, if the number of student groups and the level of their activity is to remain at the current level, or even increase, more resources will be necessary.