Holocaust Reading Necessary

Letters

To the editors:

On behalf of Hillel and the campus Jewish community, I would like to respond to your 6 editorial "Voices Unheard," (Editorial, May 6).

For nearly a decade, Hillel has been commemorating Holocaust Remembrance Day by joining Jewish communities around the world in publicly reading aloud the names of individual Holocaust victims. While we agree reciting the names of endangered species and stories of domestic violence so shortly after memorializing the six million Jewish martyrs of World War II in many ways cheapens all three events, this does not necessarily detract from the positive impact on the campus community.

You claim that the memorials become "indiscernible rhetoric" and simply fade into the background when hurried students quickly pass through the Yard. In fact, each year many people stop by our Holocaust display to read the informational material, light a memorial candle or simply listen in silent reverence as the names are read. Even for those who don't stop, the sound of the individuals' names injects a sobering reminder of a tragedy which may otherwise have been forgotten. This kind of public display is incredibly important, particularly as the number of living Holocaust survivors is decreasing and the number of Holocaust deniers is increasing.

The number six million is difficult to fathom, and thus it is nearly impossible for people to appreciate the true magnitude of this tragedy. But to hear the names of each innocent victim, as well as the long sections of people with the same last name--presumably from the same family--actualizes the Holocaust for many listeners.

You advise that in lieu of public readings we might hold smaller lectures and student discussions. While these events are important, they serve a purpose different from that of the public readings. Our annual memorial service on the night preceding Holocaust Remembrance Day allows attendees to express their emotions in a warm, intimate setting. The name reading the following day is meant to bring together the entire campus community for eight hours of consciousness, emotional catharsis and solemn remembrance. The Holocaust name reading is one of few campus events for which students, faculty, administrators and community members join together with a common purpose--a purpose which could not and should not be served on a smaller scale. MICHAEL A. KAY '01   May 10, 1999 The writer is chair of the Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel.