Square Businesses Earn "Best of Boston"

By Maria S. Shim, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard Square's popularity was demonstrated this week as nineteen local businesses were named "The Best of Boston 1999" by Boston Magazine. The publication awards prizes in 350 different categories each year.

Two local bookstores won recognition for their reading programs, with Harvard Book Store taking home the award for best reading series and Grolier Poetry Book Shop winning the award for best poetry store and readings.

Harvard Book Store Manager Isabella Reitzel said the quality of the series' speakers have made the program a success.

"What distinguishes our series is that we get the best scholars and writers," Reitzel said. "We're really proud of the caliber of our guests."

In the past, the program has featured renowned Harvard faculty, including DuBois Professor of the Humanities Henry Louis Gates Jr., Professor of Geology Stephen J. Gould and Plummer Professor of Christian Morals Peter J. Gomes.

Grolier Poetry Book Shop--which won the awards for best poetry store and readings--has also maintained a close relationship with Harvard, and has held readings for local poets including Donald Hall '51. The readings were usually held in Adams House and the Sackler Museum for the last eight years, according to Louisa Solano, the store's owner since 1974.

"I'm most proud about the award for the best readings," said Solano, who is also a member of Adams House Senior Common Room. "A lot of people start out here."

Chocolatier L.A. Burdick also earned recognition for this year's best chocolate. James Bergin, manager of the European-style shop also serving teas, coffees, hot chocolate and homemade Austrian pastries, said he was not surprised by the honor.

"The quality of the chocolate makes it special," Bergin said. "They are very delicate and are made with superlative and beautiful ingredients. The chocolate speaks for itself."

"I think people are grateful that we are here," he added.

Boston Magazine also gave special recognition to some Harvard favorites. The magazine listed the defunct Tasty diner as a Boston Classic, eulogizing it as "the late, lamented, all-night greasy spoon, another victim of Harvard Square's decline into homogeneity." Harvard University and Yo-Yo Ma '76 were also declared "Boston Classics."

Four Harvard Square establishments--Up Stairs at the Pudding, Pho Pasteur, Alpha Omega, and Marathon Sports--were also given the magazine's Hall of Fame awards. That honor is given to establishments having won an award for three out of the past five years, according to John Strahinich, executive editor of Boston Magazine.

Other local winners in the food and restaurants category include Harvest for brunch, Casablanca for burgers, the Holyoke Center's Campo de' Fiori for fast food, Herrell's Ice Cream for frappes and Toscanini's for ice cream.

Harvard Square winners in the shopping category were Curious George Goes to Wordsworth for best children's bookstore, Tess for best designer clothing, the Cambridge Artists' Cooperative for best crafts and Out of Town News for best newsstand.

In the services category, Giuliana Ruotolo of Gino Salon won for best haircut.

Boston Magazine has been publishing the Best of Boston list--whose contents were selected this year by the editorial staff and a web-site vote--for the last 26 years.

Advertisers scramble to gain attention in the issue due to its prominence.

"Advertisers fall over each other to get into this issue," Strahinich said. "It's probably every magazine's reason for doing a best list."

In addition, a dinner event featuring the winners is held every year to benefit a different charity. This year, the Doug Flutie Foundation for Autism will be the recipient of proceeds from the charity fund-raiser to be held on September 9 at the U.S. Courthouse. The event is open to all.