Floyd Flies By, Drenching Boston

College will not penalize late registrants

By M. ARI Behar, Contributing Writer

Hurricane Floyd, now just a tropical storm, passed through the Boston area yesterday, leaving flooded streets and a few inundated basements and courtyards.

According to the National Weather Service, Massachusetts was expecting 5 to 7 inches of rain by midnight last night, with conditions to improve by this morning. Wind speeds were projected at up to 45 to 50 miles per hour, with harder gusts possible.

Although the minor flooding on the Harvard campus does not approach the damage further south, the storm has not left the University unscathed.

"We're getting a little water in the basement...and I imagine we're going to get some more," said Matt P. Stec, superintendent of Leverett House.

Last night saw several inches of standing water in the courtyards of Quincy and Kirkland Houses and the lower-lying areas of the Quad.

The Freshman Dean's office was forced to cancel several of the "Through the Gates" excursions it offers for first-years yesterday due to the storm, according to Elizabeth S. Nathans, dean of freshmen. "We fear that several more may meet the same fate on Friday."

The storm will also force the annual President's Barbecue indoors.

"The format and venue of the President's Barbecues on Saturday and Sunday evenings will change, again because holding a large event in the Radcliffe Yard following so severe a storm would cause damage to the grass," Nathans said.

"President Rudenstine will come to Annenberg on both Saturday and Sunday evenings, to meet and talk with first year students," she said.

A Hillel-sponsored canoe trip for first-years was also postponed today due to the storm, according to Shana M. Starobin '00, co-chair of the Jewish Outdoors Club.

Cancellations are not the only problems facing students. Not only was the Quad itself lake-like most of the day, but Quad residents were forced to walk to and from the main campus because shuttle service is not scheduled to start until Monday.

James A. Colbert '02 said, "there are many four-letter words that could be used to describe the situation."

"I can't live like this," said Michael J. Schultz '02 of the rain-soaked trip from the Quad.

However, students may call the evening shuttle van for service by request from 7 p.m. until 1 a.m.

"It would be nice if it were working because we feel trapped up here," said Andrew R. Spector '02. "I felt the same way before it started raining, but it's worse now."

Those who waited until yesterday to move in were also inconvenienced by the storm.

Moshe Y. Spinowitz '02, who moved in yesterday in the rain, said it did not affect his move-in experience much. "I was mostly worried about my computer," he said.

Later arrivals were not so lucky. As of last night, Logan Airport was closed to arrivals.

Students with flights delayed by the storm need not worry about missing registration. According to the Office of the Registrar, students with delayed flights will not be charged a late fee if they miss registration today. They may register next Monday or Tuesday at no charge.

Meanwhile, other universities in Floyd's path have been affected still more. Duke University cancelled classes yesterday, and Princeton sent home all non-essential personnel at 11 a.m. yesterday, although classes remained in session.