A Treat From HUDS

By The CRIMSON Staff

From the people who brought you the "Fly-By", the revival of Loker Commons, and expanded Crimson Cash service comes another innovation--a dining experience for the next millennium. Thanks to a multi-million renovation, spearheaded by the Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) under Director Ted Mayer and Associate Director Lenny Condenzio, the kitchens in Kirkland and Eliot Houses have been completely transformed over the summer vacation.

Those who were familiar with the former facilities will find it impossible not to gush about the improvements. Compliments from residents, who took their first meals in the new kitchens last week, approached blatant gloating. "Come see for yourself," they said, "you'll never believe it."

And for the most part, it's the truth. The lights are bright, the countertops gleam, and the "grille" serves food that is actually fresh--cooked right before your very eyes. Best of all, the new kitchen layouts eliminate messy pile-ups. There are no more Annenberg-esque elbowfests to get to the drink machines, and extra countertop space ensures that you can put down your tray as you move through each station without blocking the person behind you. The result is a steady flow of students from the entrance to the exit no matter how many people are present.

But disregarding all the bells and whistles, the most important question--does the food actually taste better?--is still up for debate. It's true that the same meals are served all over campus, but better serving containers (open hot plates instead of those familiar silver buckets) keep food warmer and less soggy. And there is something to be said for presentation and for atmosphere. If the selections seem appetizing and enticing, and if there is no need for a martial arts degree in order to get at what you want, it would make sense that you'd have a more pleasurable meal.

HUDS has once again made positive changes on campus. We urge them to continue the good work, and wait with anticipation to hear their next great idea. Allowing students to use the board plan in Loker and other campus eateries, perhaps?

For those not fortunate enough to eat at the kitchens regularly, never fear--similar modernization construction will be conducted on all House kitchens over the next six to eight summers. Until then, the growing popularity of the new feeding grounds makes us wonder if the Kirkland and Eliot House committees will soon be investing in gongs.