W. Soccer looks for Payback vs.Hartford

By Eli Ewing, Contributing Writer

When the Harvard women's soccer team takes the field today, it will be looking for more than just an upset against the No. 12 Hartford Hawks; it will be looking for revenge.

Last year the Crimson (4-1, 2-0 Ivy) were dealt a painful 3-0 loss at the hands of the talented Hawks (5-1-1) that knocked it from the NCAA tournament and ended its season. It was the second loss to Hartford for Harvard on the season.

In that contest, the Crimson's senior laden squad simply could not stop the talented Hawks.

Now, with a much less experienced team, Harvard will look to surprise the Hawks with its solid core of seniors and its talented freshman class.

The Crimson--ranked No. 24 in the country in the latest Soccer Times poll--comes into the contest fresh from a 1-0 victory at Yale in women soccer's version of The Game.

Leading the Crimson against the Bulldogs was freshman forward Joey Yenne who scored the game's lone goal in the 64th minute of the gridlocked match.

Yenne's goal not only propelled the Crimson to its second consecutive conference win it also earned her Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors.

Although Harvard enters the game playing well, it will have its hands full against a stellar Hartford team.

Leading the Hawks is its imposing goaltender, senior Ingrid Sternhoff. Through seven games Sternhoff has allowed just three goals, posting four shutouts for an incredible 0.43 goals against average.

Despite its incredible defense, the Hartford offense has been stagnant of late, scoring just one goal over its last two contests.

Last Friday, the Hawks were unable to put any points on the board as it battled to a 0-0 tie with No. 11 Richmond. Then on Sunday, Hartford was upset by No. 17 Virginia by the score of 2-1 on the Cavaliers home field.

Although the Hawks seem to be struggling after a perfect 5-0 start, much of its slide is due to the stiff competition. Both Virginia and Richmond are among the nation's best teams.

And despite its recent woes, Hartford enters the game with the confidence of having defeated the Crimson twice last season.

The latter of the two victories sent Harvard home from the second round of the NCAA tournament and ended its season, leaving a bitter taste in the mouths of some Crimson players.

Harvard went into Hartford with a talented and experienced team, led by star seniors Emily Stauffer and Naomi Miller. The Crimson had some chances early on, but could not capitalize. The Hawks then got on a roll and never looked back, winning 3-0.

"We had a lot of confidence going into that game," co-captain Jessica Larson said. "This year we are definitely looking to redeem ourselves."

The loss of its key players would seem to be a problem for Harvard, but the Crimson is confident that its younger players are up to the task.

"This is going to be a very big game," freshman forward Beth Totman said. "All of the freshmen definitely know what this means."

Although the game promises to be hard-fought, the styles employed by the two teams will differ dramatically.

"Because most of [Hartford's] players come from Scandinavia they will play differently than most American teams," Totman said.

"Their players are definitely not the most athletic ones we face," Larson said. "They won't attack you, but they will beat you with a lot of short, quick passes, and they always play smart."

That Hartford attack will be weakened somewhat, however, by the absence of senior forward Sandra Doreleijers. Doreleijers--who leads Hartford with four goals and nine points this season--will be kept out of the game with an undisclosed injury.

Harvard will still be left to contend with sophomore midfielder Katharina Lindner, and senior forward Tory Munro. Lindner and Munro--who are tied for second on the team in points with six apiece--will be looked upon to pick up the slack for Hartford.

A big game will also be needed from Harvard freshman goalie Cheryl Gunther, who is coming off of the first shutout of her collegiate career against Yale last weekend.

Meanwhile, on offense the Crimson will look to attack the solid Hawks' defense with its talented forwards and midfielders.

Senior midfielder Julia Blain--who leads the team with three goals--will be instrumental in the Harvard attack.

Co-captain Beth Zotter, senior midfielder Ashley Berman, as well as freshmen Totman and Yenne will also be counted on for their playmaking ability if Harvard is to upset Hartford and avenge last season's losses.