Dunster May Field No Council Candidates

By Carol J. Garvan, Contributing Writer

Fliers posted outside Dunster House yesterday urged House residents to vote for their Undergraduate Council representatives, but Dunster residents may find it difficult to cast their ballots.

As of the Sept. 27 deadline, not one Dunster resident had submitted a petition to run for one of the House's five council seats.

"That's not surprising," laughed Dunster resident Mary A. Piscitello '01. "I think a lot of people feel the U.C. chooses the wrong battles to fight."

Dunster resident Bradley C. Barnhorst '00 said he shared Piscitello's disgruntlement with the council.

"I would rather not have anyone speaking for me," he said. "I resent bold proclamations made by the U.C. when the representatives are elected by such a small number."

Brian A. Chernoff '00, one of last year's five Dunster representatives, said he feels that the council could provide a crucial link between the students and administration, but that it is not currently fulfilling that role.

"There's just not that much the U.C. can do," Chernoff said. "It's a forum for debate and discussion. The meetings are not all that productive."

Council President Noah Z. Seton '00 described the Dunster situation much more optimistically.

"Dunster is relatively underrepresented, but that doesn't reflect anything about the campus as a whole," he said. "There is definitely a lot of interest in the U.C."

Seton predicted Dunster will fill its five seats as the year progresses, through write-ins and votes for last-minute entry Chad A. Wathington '00.

Wathington could not be reached for comment last night.

Like Seton, Council Treasurer Sterling P.A. Darling '01 pointed to "large interest" in the council, describing this as "one of the more competitive years" in council history despite the lack of Dunster representatives.

Just over 80 students are competing for 78 spots, but a majority of the students running are first-years. Several Houses, including Currier, Eliot, Leverett and Winthrop, have fewer than five students running for five or more spots.

Chernoff suggested that upperclass students might lose interest in the council when they realize they are not likely to see the fruits of their labors. "It's high investment, low return," he said.

And even the best efforts of the U.C.'s Election Commission are failing to rouse interest. Despite the commission's tabling and postering, few upperclass students were aware that council elections began yesterday, and still fewer can name their representatives.

"I don't think this is okay," said former Dunster representative Ann E. Schneider '99-'00. "Maybe there should have been more advertising, or I should have done something."

But it may take more than posters to rouse interest. Some students said they are happy to lead a council-free lifestyle, and others said they only take interest when council legislation directly benefits them.

When asked if the council should play a greater role in student life, Piscitello replied, "Only if they're going to give us money."