Morrell Returns To Lead Crimson Defense

By Timothy M. Mcdonald, Contributing Writer

Sitting on the sidelines while your teammates compete must be agonizing. Knowing that no matter how much you want to, you cannot help them.

It must be a terrible feeling, but it also happened to be a motivating one for Harvard junior defenseman Graham Morrell.

After a yearlong exile from the ice, Morrell is ready to return to the Crimson lineup this fall. Morrell is completely recovered from reconstructive shoulder surgery and will be expected to step in and anchor the Crimson blueline this upcoming season.

Morrell played in 62 games on the Crimson blueline during his freshman and sophomore years and had planned to return for his junior season in 1999-00. In August of last year, however, he had arthroscopic surgery on his shoulder. When the results of the operation were analyzed, the doctors called him back in and told Morrell he would need more extensive reconstructive surgery.

"It turned out to be a good situation," Morrell says. "I had the whole year to concentrate on getting healthy. More importantly, my fire and love for the game are back. Being banged up for my first two years here had not only taken a toll on me physically but mentally as well. Now, I can't wait to get on the ice every day."

The feeling is mutual. On more than one occasion last year, Harvard Coach Mark Mazzoleni mentioned Morrell as a key aspect of the team that was missing.

"I appreciate Coach keeping me involved in the program last year as much as possible and making me feel [like] part of the family," Morrell says. "I appreciate the respect and faith Coach has shown in me even though I have yet to play for him."

Mazzoleni needs Morrell for more than just his talent on the ice. Morrell will anchor the blueline, but he will also be counted on to mentor the three freshmen defensemen on the team, Kenny Smith, Blair Barlow, and David McCulloch. It is a responsibility that Morrell takes very seriously.

"The veterans need to lead by example," Morrell says. "Leading must be done through actions. Words don't get anybody very far."

Morrell would like to impress upon the team's young defensemen the need for an aggressive and physical style of play, which can control the Crimson zone and start an offensive rush by quickly moving the puck up to the forwards.

"The defense needs to start by controlling our zone," Morrell says. "We need to take pride in winning all of the battles along the boards and in front of the net, get the puck out of the zone when we're in trouble, and get the breakout set up. I think the defense will jump into the offensive rush when they get the chance this year."

Morrell, though a year removed from competition, knows his teammates well and has developed a comfort level with them both on and off the ice. He thinks this year's team has really come together, and is looking forward to playing under Mazzoleni for the first time.

"I feel really comfortable with my teammates," Morrell says. "Most of my best friends are on the team . . .the team chemistry is a lot better this year."

Despite not having played a single real game since the end of the 1998-99 season, Morrell isn't worried about his conditioning. He was back on the ice nine months after his first operation, and has been running track and lifting weights since the spring. The only thing Morrell feels he needs to improve on before the season gets underway is his timing, something that is hard to accurately gauge outside of game settings.

"If I can stay healthy then everything else will fall into place," Morrell says. "I haven't been able to play the way I've wanted to in the past because of injuries, but I look forward to staying healthy this year and being able to help out more offensively."

Morrell wants to see the Crimson play hard and strong for a full sixty minutes, and if they do that, he thinks the Crimson can do just about anything.

He has a great sense of Harvard hockey history and has been a fan of the Crimson since childhood. Coming from Natick, Mass., Morrell can remember back to the days when Bright Arena was filled to the rafters every night, and a ticket was hard to come by.

"I've always wanted to play hockey for Harvard since they won the NCAA championship back in '89," Morrell says. "It's an honor and a privilege every time I put on that jersey. My goal since I got here has been to get our rink packed on a daily basis. The only way to do that is by winning."

For the Crimson to succeed, Morrell knows it will need a full effort from every member of the team at both ends of the ice.

"In college hockey everybody has the talent and the potential to win any given night," Morrell says. "It's whoever shows up to play and wants it the most that gets to go home with the win."

When asked about his expectations for the season, Morrell isn't too shy to show his enthusiasm.

"I expect to win the league," Morrell says. "I expect to win every game. We need the Beanpot this year. Being from around here, I'm sick and tired of having to listen to people from B.C. and B.U. We need to make a statement. We're not looking to next year or the year after. The time is now."

Let's hope he's right.