Harvard's Sweat Heats Paradise's Reopening

By Marla B. Kaplan, Crimson Staff Writer

Pulsating music and throngs of scantily-clad Harvard students and locals grooved, partied and packed the dance floor at Saturday's grand reopening of Paradise, a club that was closed by the city of Boston in March.

Harvard student turnout was significant because the reopening was promoted largely by Harvard undergraduates and featured an alumni DJ.

Eight Harvard student promoters, working closely with club management, sent out e-mails to attract students at Harvard and on other local college campuses, said Daniel Houston '01, who was in charge of promoting on campus.

Houston said the reopening party was a success because of the wide range of students who attended.

"The tremendous turnout from Wellesley, B.U., B.C. and Northeastern left no doubt that a sexy, mixed student crowd will be coming out for the hottest Saturdays in Boston," Houston wrote in an e-mail message.

The Harvard connection with Paradise and M-80, another club that will share the building, was strengthened by the presence of resident D.J. Shiuan Lui '95, who often spins for parties at the Phoenix, a Harvard final club.

Harvard students were a massive presence, piling out of cabs, cars and the T. Due to massive promotion for the reopening night party, waiting in line for upwards of 40 minutes was not uncommon for those arriving later.

Lines of club-goers snaked outside the two doors, including one line for people on a special "Harvard" guest list.

According to Adrian M. Wall '03, one of the student promoters, the large turnout of Harvard students helped make the night a success.

"It went excellently," Wall said. "I overheard everyone saying they had a great time, even if they had to wait outside. It shows that it's a great time, and people should go to Paradise to party."

Paradise and M-80, two of Boston's more well-established nightclubs, reopened this weekend after losing their operating licenses in March.

The Boston Licensing Board took away the clubs' license for repeated overcrowding, serving alcohol to minors and for blocking emergency exits. A provision in the revocation allowed for the reopening of the clubs under new management after six months.

Three Harvard graduates made preliminary agreements to purchase the clubs, but the deal fell through. Instead, Patrick Lyons, who owns several other Boston nightclubs, took over operation of Paradise and M-80.

Because of common ownership, students can get their names on VIP guest lists at Paradise, M-80 or one of several other clubs on Lansdowne Street, Houston said. Being on a guest list entitles clubbers to discounted admission and usually shorter lines.

Paradise isn't the only club to hire Harvard students as promoters.

For the past year, several sophomores have been promoting for Avalon, a Lansdowne Street hotspot. Undergraduates helped organize a special Harvard-Yale party in November and regularly arrange Harvard guest lists about once a month.

--Staff writer Marla B. Kaplan can be reached at kaplan@fas.harvard.edu.