Wyant Sweeps McNeely in Squash's Perfect Evening

By Martin S. Bell, Contributing Writer

After a weekend that included disappointing losses to Trinity, the Harvard squash teams hoped to return to business as usual last night.

Winning.

Both squads did that in emphatic fashion sweeping their opponents without dropping a single game at the Murr Center's Bradley Courts The No. 2 men's team topped Amherst 9-0, while the women blanked Tufts by the same score.

The men were relegated to the back courts against No. 15 Amherst (3-6), but that didn't stop the Crimson (10-1, 3-0 Ivy) from improving its record.

"This was an important win for us because we did so well up top," said first-year Harvard Coach Satinder Bajwa. "We need to show that we can win games with the top of the order as well, not just because of our depth."

Bajwa was alluding to the team's loss to Trinity, in which the No. 5-9 players were expected to represent the team's best chance at victory. On Wednesday night, the top of the order received virtually all of the attention, as co-captain Tim Wyant dueled with Amherst's star and the nation's highest-ranked collegiate player, David McNeely.

The fact that the Crimson had already won its first eight matches by the time the marquee matchup commenced, many in lopsided fashion, did not remove any luster from the showdown between Wyant and McNeely.

Those assembled in Murr were treated to an hour of on-court artistry as the two fierce competitors met, often physically, and seemed early on to be destined for a dramatic finish.

"David and I have known each other for years," Wyant said. "I hadn't beaten him since we played at Nationals when I was twelve. So it's always exciting to play him."

Displaying incredible hustle that found him in the air one moment and close to the floor the next, Wyant held on to win the first game that seemed to last longer than the previous eight matches combined, 15-13. The high point came in the form of a Wyant spin and backhand that left the Amherst entourage visibly amazed and McNeely banging his racquet in frustration.

As play progressed, McNeely became increasingly overwhelmed. He began the match in high spirits, amusing the crowd with comic commentary between serves, but the third game found him screaming angrily at himself after missed balls. Wyant, though obviously tired, seemed to only get more comfortable as the match progressed.

He won the final two games with relative ease, 15-5, 15-3.

Wyant downplayed the victory, pointing to McNeely's disappearance down the stretch.

"He isn't in the greatest shape right now," he said. "I've definitely seen him play a lot better in the past."

But in reflecting on the importance of the match as a whole, Bajwa wasted no time highlighting Wyant's performance.

"It's great for the rest of the team to see Tim do something like this, " Bajwa said. "David is a national champion, so watching Tim defeat him motivates [the rest of the team]to play better squash."

The rest of the team certainly needed no additional motivation last night. Junior No. 2 Deepak Abraham defeated fellow junior Addison West, 3-0 (15-2, 15-5, 15-8). Junior No. 3 Gray Witcher topped freshman Piercarlo Valdesolo, 3-0 (15-5, 15-5, 15-1).

If Wyant's performance does boost the team's overall performance, it could not come at a better time. This weekend is a crucial one for the Crimson, as it opens against Pennsylvania and concludes on Sunday against No. 3 Princeton in a game that will likely decide the Ivy League Championship.

"It will be the biggest home game of the year," Wyant said. "Not only because of the Ivy League Title, but because Princeton still has a chance to win the national title."

Added freshman No. 4 Dylan Patterson, "We're hoping that everybody who cares about squash is there this Sunday."

If team reacts to Wyant's gutsy performance the way Bawja hopes it will, it will truly be something to see.

Harvard 9, Tufts 0

Although the women's team lacked the excitement of a marquee matchup, it was no less effective as it trounced the Jumbos 9-0. Like the men's team, the No. 3 Crimson (6-1, 3-0 Ivy) bulldozed past its opponent without dropping a single game.

Sophomore No. 1Margaret Elias was most impressive, shutting out Tufts' top player, Winnie So, 9-0, 9-0, 9-0. No Crimson victory came by less than 7 points.

Bawja acknowledged the difficulty in finding lasting value in such a mismatch.

"Even though it was not close," Bajwa said. "It is important that each player uses these games to develop her own personal performance."

No. 15 Tufts (7-10) provided similar developmental fodder for the rest of the Crimson squad. Joining Elias in a complete blanking of her opponent were freshman No. 4 Ella Witcher, junior No. 6 Virginia Brown, and freshman No. 7 Lindsay Coleman.

The team can also view the win as a suitable warmup to a big weekend. The Crimson's record now stands at 6-1 heading into this weekend's games against No.1 Pennsylvania and Princeton. The women's team also has the opportunity to clinch the Ivy League Championship with wins the weekend.