Students Work To Bring Political 'Science' to the IOP

By Marla B. Kaplan, Crimson Staff Writer

The Institute of Politics (IOP) is not the usual forum for discussions on science.

But if Christopher M. Kirchhoff '01 has his way, science talk will become a common fixture there.

Kirchhoff chairs the Working Group on Science Technology, a group of students dedicated to increasing the dialogue between scientists and policymakers. The group is a subgroup of the IOP's Projects Committee.

There has been little effort at Harvard to explore the ways in which science and technology affect government policy, Kirchhoff said.

Therefore, last night, the IOP sponsored a dinner for student leaders in the field to discuss ways to increase awareness of the importance of science technology.

"As science becomes more of a part of the modern world, we must expand the ways in which we collectively discuss the political issues that surround science and technology," said Kirchhoff, who is also a Crimson editor.

Kirchhoff said Y2K problems "made it evident how connected science and politics are."

"Science and technology are absolutely dominating media stories this year," he said. "It is the time to gather together science leaders and to address the larger questions."

During the dinner, 20 students and two professors discussed various options to increase connections of science and technology and policymaking. Student science leaders plan to organize a variety of forums and speakers in the spring as well, Kirchhoff said.

Professor of History of Science Everett Mendelsohn, the main speaker, elaborated on the general principles Kirchhoff laid out.

Mendelsohn did not propose anything for the future; rather, his purpose at the dinner was to educate the student leaders about science and technology so they could take the next step.

"We are looking at how appropriate decisions are made, and how issues are sorted," Mendelsohn said prior to the dinner. Nuclear proliferation is currently one of the must crucial policy issues, he said.

"We're standing at the point at which any number of states, sub-states or organizations might develop nuclear weapons, and we need policies on how to handle that," Mendelsohn said.

Other crucial issues that are equally important politically are the ability of nations to produce biological weapons, the new trend of gene therapy and modification and where other forms of technology are leading the country, he said.

If people want to participate in science and technology policy, Mendelsohn said, it is important for them to feel they have "a responsibility to be involved."

Future plans discussed include two forums, one on the Internet and politics and the other on human cloning.

In addition, Kirchhoff said, the IOP hopes to bring several senior science policy advisers from the White House to speak on campus.

According to David J. Mitby '01, president of the Harvard Computer Society, who also attended the dinner, the meeting brought to light many of the political issues relating to science and technology.

"We discussed the need for greater campus awareness and involvement," Mitby said. "It laid the groundwork for collaborative activities this semester."

Kirchhoff said he became interested in involving student leaders in science and technology policy and in publicizing the importance of the area after spending the past two summers as an aid to the presidential science adviser in Washington, D.C.