Energizing Ethernet Access

Structural changes, roaming capability will accommodate future highway traffic

By The CRIMSON Staff

Last semester, computer kiosks around campus got a rather colorful makeover when the University installed a series of new psychedelic iMacs. But as the old saying goes, appearances aren't everything: It was awfully hard to appreciated the aesthetic value of those funky blueberry and strawberry and lime monitors when the time it took to access telnet servers seemed to stretch to eternity. Problems escalated through December, when students all around campus experienced slow responses when trying to check e-mail or get on the Internet.

The good news is that the new year has brought--and will continue to bring--significant changes in the ethernet infrastructure at Harvard that will undoubtedly provide the kiosks with some substantively attractive characteristics to go along with their shiny new look. Many of the delays that were caused by an overload of the data storage system were eliminated when the Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences Computing Services (HFASCS) replaced that system over the winter break. A plan to increase storage capacity on the everyday "fas" set of systems is currently being implemented.

Even better, HFASCS has set next fall as the target date for the introduction of "roaming" ethernet on campus. No frustratingly long lines at Lamont to check e-mail; all you have to do is take your laptop and plug it in to the nearest available jack. This will give students the flexibility to do research and access the Internet from their own computers at libraries and in study areas. Moreover, it will do away with the supremely annoying process by which each student has to individually register connections at the beginning of the school year.

These improvements have come just in time. The e-mail slowness aside, Internet use has doubled on a roughly annual basis over the last few years, according to Dean for Research and Information Technology Paul C. Martin. With the welcome announcement earlier this month that the College is proposing allowing students to run e-businesses from their dorm rooms and prospects for a customized Faculty of Arts and Sciences web portal, it is clear that we're going to need all the megabits and gigabytes we can get.