M. Volleyball Falls at Home to Columbia Union, 3-1

By Daniel E. Fernandez, Contributing Writer

Coming off its first league loss on Wednesday, the men's volleyball team was looking to return to its winning ways last night in the cozy confines of the Malkin Athletic Center.

Unfortunately, Harvard (6-3, 4-2 EIVA) will have to wait another week for a chance at redemtion since it lost another league game last night to the Columbia Union Pioneers (9-6, 5-2), 3-1, (5-15, 15-8, 11-15, 9-15).

Hamstrung by a critical injury to sophmore middle blocker Justin Denham, the Crimson reordered its lineup in preparation for the match.

Junior co-captain Justin Micomonaco, who normally plays at opposite, moved to outside hitter and junior Brian Stevenson filled in for Denham at the middle.The shake-up of the Crimson starters allowed sophmore Conor Gaughan to get quality minutes at opposite.

"Injuries are never an excuse for losing games," freshman setter Mike Bookman said, "Our guys, and specifically Conor, came up huge tonight in new roles."

Despite the mighty effort of Gaughan and the other starters in new positions, Harvard seemed disorganized in the first game.

The Pioneers jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead behind the crushing kills of Columbia Union outside hitter Scott Hogan.

Hogan, who hits left-handed, victimized the Crimson down the right side and across court with his big swings.

"Columbia Union's left-handed hitters really made us pay tonight," Harvard Coach Tom Wilson said, "They attacked our right side more than any other team we've faced this enitre season."

The Pioneers' stifling right-side attack, coupled with Harvard's general defensive disarray, allowed Columbia Union to push the lead to 11-4 late in the first game. Two successive aces by Columbia Union firmly cemented its momentum and the Pioneers easily closed out the first game, 15-5.

Harvard, to its credit, regrouped after its dismal defensive effort and came out intent on winning the second game and getting back into the match.

With devasting kills by senior outside hitter Joe Herger and huge solo blocks by Gaughan and Bookman, the Crimson leapt out to a 5-1 lead in the second game.

Despite efforts by the Pioneers to steal the momentum, Harvard was able to maintain its offensive intensity behind the calm leadership of Herger, who ended the night with 31 kills and 13 digs.

"Herger was unstoppable tonight," Coach Wilson said.

Behind blocks down the stretch by Bookman and co-captain Ed Pankau, the Crimson pulled out a 15-8 win in the second game.

However, Harvard was unable to keep a consistent level of defense and offense throughout the remainder of the match.

Harvard's right-side defense crumbled under the wiltering onslaught of the Pioneers' left-side hitters. The third game ended with Columbia Union winning 15-11.

In addition, Harvard's inability to get sideouts undermined its effort to get back into the match in the third game.

"JD [Justin Denham] is instrumental to our sideout offensive," Wilson said, "Without him, we really struggled tonight."

After the disappointing loss in the third game, the fourth game seemed an afterthought with Harvard losing 15-8.

"I'm really disappointed that we lost, but this makes our season more interesting now. We have put ourselves in must-win mode, and I'm confident we can do it," Pankau said.

Harvard gets a break from league play as it heads to SUNY New Paltz for a three-game tournament next weekend. With this mental and physical break from the rigors of league play, the Crimson should be able to recuperate and prepare for its next league contest against MIT in two weeks.