Council Looks To Improve Police Relations

By Imtiyaz H. Delawala, Crimson Staff Writer

The Cambridge City Council criticized police priorities in one of the city's most dangerous neighborhoods, advocating greater communication between law enforcement officials and area residents at a low-key meeting last night.

During the three-hour session, the council approved no major policy initiatives, instead taking time to discuss in depth several orders--measures that express an intent or sentiment but do not authorize funds or take any formal action.

The final order on the agenda called for an increased police presence in Area 4, an East Cambridge neighborhood known for its high crime rate and drug-related problems.

Two weeks ago, the council approved an order to support organizing meetings with Area 4 residents to discuss their neighborhood safety concerns.

A meeting with Area 4 residents is tentatively scheduled for Thursday at the Margaret Fuller Neighborhood House.

"This is probably the umpteenth order about Area 4," said councillor Kathleen L. Born. "[Crime] just goes away for awhile, and seems to come back."

Councillor Timothy P. Toomey Jr. questioned the priorities of the Cambridge Police Department (CPD).

He cited the fact that six uniformed CPD officers were present at the Cambridge Post Office on April 15 to insure that Cantabrigians turned in tax forms in an orderly manner.

"Our priorities are all screwed up," Toomey said. "It's beyond me that we can have those resources, but not have a stronger police presence in Area 4."

Councillor Marjorie C. Decker, who lives in Area 4, said she believes uniformed police are the only way to make a strong statement against drugs and crime.

"People want to see police in uniform and on the streets," she said.

Councillor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 told personal stories to demonstrate the pressing need to address the crime problem.

Reeves' said his house was broken into earlier this year. He also recently found a wallet in his yard while cleaning out a flowerbed and discovered the wallet had been stolen from its owner during a robbery near his home.

"The news that eight people robbed someone half a block from my house in not encouraging," Reeves said.

Decker said the city should spend more to deter crime. She said she also plans to appeal to the state government for increased funding for Area 4.

"We need a funded crime task force coordinator," Decker said.

She added that increased communication with residents is important to understanding their concerns.

"It's important to know exactly what the neighborhood expects," she said.

Born said she believes the council should not stop its initiatives to reduce crime in the area.

"It's time to stop making promises and take action that will really stick," she said.

Due to the lack of pressing legislation, less than five Cantabrigians were present at any time during the meeting.

"People come out when there are pressing issues they want to speak about," Decker said. "There were no major policy issues today."