Barker, Rich to Captain Tennis Team Next Year

By Zevi M. Gutfreund, Crimson Staff Writer

Juniors Anthony Barker and Michael Rich will serve as co-captains for the Harvard men's tennis team next season, the athletic department announced Wednesday in a press release.

The latest national collegiate team rankings were also released Wednesday, and Harvard moved to No. 56 in the poll to maintain the highest ranking among eastern teams.

When the team elected Barker and Rich to lead the Crimson next season, it also chose current co-captain Joe Green as Harvard's Most Valuable Player in 1999-2000. Barker, a native of Canberra, Australia, was named Most Improved Player.

In addition, Barker will represent the university at the 2000 NCAA Foundation Leadership Conference from May 28 to June 1 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Florida.

The mission of the conference, according to the press release, is to prepare a diverse group of student-athletes to take an active role on their campuses and in their communities. The NCAA has invited 300 student-athletes from around the country to the conference.