Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Rudenstine to Resign Presidency in 2001

By Vasugi V. Ganeshananthan and Erica B. Levy, Crimson Staff Writers

University President Neil L. Rudenstine announced today that he will resign his position following the 2000-2001 academic year.

Rudenstine said he plans to step down on June 30, 2001, a decade after assuming the post.

In what is widely considered his most significant accomplishment, Rudenstine spearheaded the Harvard's Capital Campaign, which raked in $2.6 billion over six years--half a billion more than its original goal. The amount boosted Harvard's endowment to a record high of $14.4 billion.

"The time seems right," Rudenstine said in a statement. "With the campaign behind us and new opportunities on the horizon, it will be important to revive the University-wide academic planning process and to take a fresh look at future priorities. It's only fitting that a new president be in a position both to shape that process and to see it through."

Rudenstine, a Rhodes Scholar, came to Harvard from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, where he served as executive vice president. Prior to that, he was provost at his alma mater, Princeton.