Students 'Come Out' for Day of Awareness

By Jonathan P. Abel, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard students marked “National Coming-Out Day” yesterday with campus-wide events designed to raise awareness about issues of sexual orientation.

Organized by the Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian and Transgendered and Supporters Alliance (BGLTSA) and Beyond Our Normal Differences (BOND), events included a movie screening, an interfaith prayer service, and an Internet chat.

At a table in front of the Science Center yesterday, the BGLTSA handed out colorful bracelets, stickers, and brochures.

In years past, the BGLTSA has posted explicit messages on Coming-Out Day to draw attention to its political causes. But this year, according to BGLTSA co-chair Dan R. Tremitiere ’02-’03, his organization decided to make its message more positive in light of the recent terrorist attacks.

“Posters are more upbeat than in years past because we’re aware that it is October 11th,” Tremitiere said. “We don’t need anything more to depress us today.”

BOND Co-Chair, Justin C. Ocean ’03 said his non-political group did not alter its plans becausee of the one-month anniversary of the attacks.

“I haven’t thought of the terrorist attack today...I don’t think it affected our programming,” he said.

BOND initiated its second annual anonymous Internet chat designed to counsel students who have questions about their sexual orientations.

“It’s aimed to be very inclusive,” Ocean said. “No one has to know who you are.”

An interfaith prayer service also took place last night at the Old Cambridge Baptist Church. Sponsored by Cornerstone, a support group for Catholic bisexual, gay, lesbian, transgendered students and their supporters, students were encouraged to participate in the service and to share their stories about coming out.

As part of its continuing series of about bisexuals, gays, lesbians and transgendered individuals, Mather House held an evening showing of “But I’m a Cheerleader.”

National Coming Out Day came and went while many Harvard alumni are working to have ROTC reinstated at Harvard.

In Feb. 1995, the University ended its financial support of ROTC because of the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell policy.”

The recent national rally around the flag spirit that has resulted from the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11 has moved some alums to lobby for the reinstatement of ROTC.

But in a press release on Oct. 10, the Harvard Gay & Lesbian Caucus “strongly urges the President and Fellows of Harvard University to continue to maintain and support a nondiscriminatory environment.”

While the ROTC issue was not the focus of Coming Out Day, Tremitiere said, “This is a time for people who don’t identify as bisexual, gay, a lesbian or transgendered to support their friends who do.”