Lewis Visits Council, Praises Study Abroad Programs

By William M. Rasmussen, Crimson Staff Writer

In a visit to the Undergraduate Council last night, Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis ’68 praised study abroad programs and spoke strongly against College recognition for single-sex social groups.

Responding to a question about University housing policy, Lewis said that his support for study abroad programs was motivated by the need for more space in the Houses.

“I think the best overflow housing is in Budapest and Thailand. There’s a lot of university housing all over the world that we should be making use of that is currently underutilized by Harvard College,” he said.

Lewis also flatly denied that single-sex social groups would be able to follow the lead of the recently recognized Hasty Pudding social club—which is coed—to gain official club status.

The University’s policy of non-discrminination on the basis of gender prevents the College from recognizing single-sex organizations such as final clubs.

“[It] is a principle which has served the University well...and I am opposed to getting rid of it,” Lewis said.

Lewis opened the meeting to questions after briefly speaking to the council about the structure of the University’s administration.

His answers to student questions ranged from supporting the idea of a video rental store on or near campus to stating that the University could do little to promote more student-oriented shops in Harvard Square.

Lewis also stated that he has not taken a position on the hotly debated issue of universal keycard access, which would allow students to swipe into any House at any time of night.

“I don’t have a strong view one way or the other,” Lewis said. “I respect the arguments on both sides.”

After Lewis left the meeting, the council unanimously approved its fall grants package, which allotted about $100 more on average to student groups than last year.

In more contentious business, the council also significantly altered its bylaws so that members’ abstentions would be formally recognized as refusals to participate rather than “nay” votes, as was previously the case.

The bill, which council parliamentarian P.K. Agarwalla ’04 said “will change the psychological meaning of abstention,” sparked significant debate before being approved by the two-thirds margin required.

“This is really about accountability,” said council member Jessica R. Stannard-Friel ’04. “Under the [defeated] system, you can mask a ‘no’ vote as an abstention if you have an opinion that you think is unpopular with your constituents.”

The council also passed a bill to continue allocations for the “House of the month” awards, which give stipends to House committees that find creative ways to increase spirit.

Council President Paul A. Gusmorino ’03, said the bill—which passed with few dissenting votes—will enhance communication between the House committees.

“It’s a continuation of a new program we started last spring to give more support to HoCos,” Gusmorino said.

—Staff writer William M. Rasmussen can be reached at wrasmuss@fas.harvard.edu.