Homeless Man Dies Outside Leverett

Individual had lived in area for many years

By Joseph P. Flood, Crimson Staff Writer

Lee Nichols, an elderly homeless man who has lived in Harvard Square for more than ten years, passed away yesterday morning on DeWolfe St. outside of Leverett House.

A University employee called the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) around 2:30 yesterday afternoon after some workers noticed that Nichols was not moving.

"Some of my contractors working here saw him early today and then they saw him in the same spot here later so I called it in," said the employee who made the call.

Nichols was found in the grass near the corner of DeWolfe St. and Memorial Drive. Leverett House residents said that Nichols slept there each night, using the nearby steam vents for warmth.

"He would go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day," said Arianne R. Cohen `03, a Leverett House resident and Crimson editor. "He was right in front of my window every day, sleeping and talking with his friend."

September Beck, who lives nearby on Homer St., said that she had seen Nichols in the area for years.

"He's been here for awhile. I always see him sleeping here," said Beck.

HUPD officers said they were not sure when Nichols had died, but said that he had been there for awhile.

The Massachusetts state police medical examiner's office will conduct an autopsy later this week to determine the cause of the death.

--Staff Writer Joseph P. Flood can be reached at flood@fas.harvard.edu.