Harvard College Graduate Dies in Terrorist Act

Edward R. “Ted” Hennessy Jr. ’88, a passenger on American Airlines flight 11, died when his plane crashed into the World Trade Center in Tuesday’s terrorist attack. He was 35.

Hennessy, a native of Belmont, was a consultant for Emergence Consulting and heading to Los Angeles on a business trip.

A resident of Leverett House while an undergraduate, Hennessy graduated from the College cum laude as a biology concentrator.

While a student at Harvard, Hennessy was very involved in the Hasty Pudding Theatrical Club. He played in the orchestra of the Pudding show during each of his four years at the College. He was also a co-writer of the Pudding’s 1989 show “Whiskey Business.”

Those who knew him from the Pudding describe him as a very active member of the club who spent a great deal of time at the club’s Holyoke Street theater.

However, they said even as he spent hour upon hour at the Pudding, he always managed to have fun and enjoy life.

“He was a happy-go-lucky, fun-loving guy,” said Ronald E. Corcillo ’89, who was Hennessy’s partner in writing “Whiskey Business.”

“He was the kind of guy you always wanted to hang out with,” said Cori Fisher McRae ’88, who also played in the Pudding’s orchestra. “He was truly one of the best people I’ve ever known.”

In particular, several of his friends remembered how Hennessy would at times bring a blender into the theater pit and during periods of loud music in the show would use it to make mixed drinks for members of the orchestra.

Corcillo also recalled the distinctive funny looking shoes that Hennessy would always wear.

Outside of the Pudding, Hennessy was also well known for hosting parties in his room.

“Probably everybody on campus went to one of his parties at on time,” Corcillo said.

Hennessy was also an active participant in the Leverett House Committee and took a leading role in organizing the House’s participation in the annual Charles River interhouse homemade raft races.

After graduating from the College, Hennessy worked for a Cambridge technology company for several years and then attended Kellogg Business School at Northwestern University.

After graduation from business school, he entered the consulting field and moved back to live in his hometown of Belmont.

McRae noted that while Hennessy might not have fit the typical straight-laced profile of a consultant, his incredible people skills made him a great fit for the a job.

“I sensed that there was a very bright light which was extinguished [by Hennessy’s death],” said 1988-89 Hasty Pudding Theatrical Club President Edward K. Stimpson ’89.

Corcillo said that Hennessy’s trip had been originally scheduled for last month, but had been fatefully postponed.

Hennessy is survived by his wife Melanie W. Salisbury and two children, a six-year-old daughter and a three-year-old son. A memorial fund has been established to help provide for the future education of his children. Contributions can be sent to Belmont Savings Bank, 2 Leonard St., Belmont, MA 02478.