New Tennis Facility Shows Signs of Damage

By Daniel E. Fernandez, Crimson Staff Writer

When the Robert M. Beren ’47 Tennis Center was officially dedicated last spring, coaches and players lauded the immaculate 18-court facility. At the dedication, women’s tennis coach Gordon Graham described it as a “glistening jewel” that would provide “a major source of confidence and pride, helping our athletes to compete at their best.”

As it turns out, though, the jewel seems to be flawed.

Over the past few months, the men’s and women’s tennis teams which use the Beren Tennis Center on a regular basis for practice and intercollegiate tournaments have noticed some imperfections on the playing surface.

Of the primary six stadium courts that are used for varsity matches, four have cracks and two of those four show signs of bubbling. Some of the other 12 courts, which are used for team practices and are open to the University community for recreation, also show signs of damage unusual to such a new facility.

According to sources in the Athletic Department, the bubbling and cracking that has marred the playing surfaces of the courts is potentially due to faulty construction methods. Underneath the hardcourt surface lies a layer of polymer which, if installed incorrectly, will cause the court to swell with temperature shifts or in cases of heavy precipitation.

Sources also confirm that an independent surveying company evaluated the courts over the summer but would not specify the findings of the study.

Though the University denies rumors of a lawsuit against the general contractor Lee Kennedy and Company, both parties remain in discussion over the future of the Beren Tennis Center.

“There are a lot of frustrated people on both sides,” said University spokesperson Joe Wrinn. “But we’ve been trying to work closely with the contractor and we’ve been very cooperative.”

Lee Kennedy, which has done many construction projects for the University including last year’s Widener renovations, hired Dalton Construction of Connecticut as a subcontractor for installation of the hardcourt surfaces.

Representatives from both Lee Kennedy and Co. and Dalton Construction were unavailable for comment.

The courts, which have been in use for a year and a half, are not only used by the men’s and women’s varsity teams, but also provide an ability for Univeristy affiliates to play tennis in varsity-level facilities.

“One of the chief reasons Mr. Beren donated 18 courts was to benefit the Harvard community as well as Harvard’s varsity teams,” associate athletic director for sports media relations John Veneziano said.

“This is beyond a Harvard athletics issue; this is a Harvard community issue,” Veneziano added.

Players familiar with the imperfections in the courts, though, offer more disappointment than disdain.

“They really are wonderful courts and far and away the best tennis facilities in the Ivy League,” said senior Sarah McGinty. “It’s just too bad that the damage will eventually require someone to redo the courts in the future.”