Businesses Lead Square's Relief Effort

Cardullos is one of several Square businesses supporting relief efforts for last week's terrorist attacks.
By Jessica E. Vascellaro, Crimson Staff Writer

As corporate America remains in shock after last week’s terrorist attacks, Harvard Square businesses are actively pursuing various relief and fund raising measures to aid victims.

One of the most noticeable efforts has been made by Au Bon Pain. The bustling bakery cafe has just completed a three day collection of new clothes and canned food for the Salvation Army.

Volunteers from the Salvation Army have also been at both Au Bon Pain locations in the Square since the day after the tragedy collecting money for victims and their families.

Relying on their popularity with Square regulars, Tealuxe hosted “Free Tea Day” Tuesday when they accepted donations for the Red Cross September 11th Fund in exchange for tea. All four branches of the franchise raised a total of $3,662.80, with the Square branch contributing $1,200.

“The whole experience was very rewarding,” said manager Jason Jones. “We have lots of regular customers here, and it was wonderful to see them all get involved.”

Starbucks employees at both Square locations are contributing to the company’s larger efforts by donating their daily tips to the fund. They also closed at 2:00 p.m. on the day of the tragedy out of respect for the victims.

“Starbucks [normally] has a policy of not allowing any flags or other non-universal symbol to be displayed,” said assistant manager of the Garage location, Kendra Mason. “However, now all employees have been urged to display flags throughout the store out of national pride.”

The Starbucks Corporation has donated a million dollars to The September 11th Fund established by the NY Community Trust and the United Way.

The company has also offered to buy back all their company shares that are being sold, in an attempt to stabilize the economy.

Ben and Jerry’s has been very active, and perhaps most noticeable, in Harvard’s fund-raising efforts—donating 20 cases of Peace Pops ice cream bars to encourage student donations to the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.

The store also sent eight of its employees to Massachusetts General Hospital last Tuesday afternoon, where they distributed 300 “Give a pint, get a pint” coupons to blood donors.

Manager Brian Queen is also planning a new relief fund that directly benefits those Ben and Jerry’s employees who worked in the World Trade Center branch.

“The store was on the first floor so the workers all got out okay, but now they have lost their jobs and they need our help,” Queen said.

He predicts that they will raise money by donating a day’s profits to the cause.

In an effort to both bolster national pride and fund relief efforts, Chili’s has implemented a program to raise money by selling paper flags for a dollar.

“So far we have raised over $300 for the United Way, and we are planning to designate that the funds be used on behalf of children who have lost their parents,” said general manager Denise Russell.

While many fund raising programs are in full swing, other businesses are still considering how they can help.

“We wanted to wait and figure out how we could have a maximum impact based on our limited resources,” said Cardullo’s owner Frank Cardullo. “We are just beginning to see where the need is greatest, and then we will be able to best determine what a small business like us can do to help.”