Israel's Security and Ours

U.S. must intensify efforts for peace to strengthen global coalition against terrorism

By The CRIMSON Staff

The horror of shell-shocked, bloodied civilians wandering the streets after a suicide bombing is a sight that Americans associate more with Jerusalem than with New York. But the attack on Sept. 11 brought the specter of terrorism to the centers of our nation’s greatest cities. This is a specter that Israel has been fighting for years, and the international coalition against terrorism that President George W. Bush is trying to assemble should include Israel as a partner.

Yet in order to pursue terrorism effectively, the U.S. must have a strong working relationship with nations hostile to Israel. The only way to bridge this divide is for the U.S. to apply itself actively as an honest broker for peace.

Since the beginning of the recent violence in 2000, many voices in the Arab world have criticized the U.S. for taking Israel’s side in laying blame for the breakdown of the Camp David peace talks. Since taking office, Bush has distanced himself from the conflict, in sharp contrast to the hands-on attitude of the Clinton administration.

But the dynamics of the situation have changed radically in light of the Sept. 11 attack. The conflict between Israel and the Palestinians has gone from the front-burner of problems in the Middle East to a distracting side show that could hamper America in the approaching conflict. The increased American pressure may have been one of the reasons that Palestinian Authority (PA) Chairman Yassir Arafat has called on Palestinians to observe a cease-fire. In the past, his declarations have met with resistance from Hamas, the Islamic Jihad and other militant groups. Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon’s line has also softened since last Friday, when he branded Arafat a terrorist and accused the PA of harboring terrorist groups. Despite the cancellation of weekend talks, there are indications that Arafat has in recent days begun to rein in terrorist groups working from within PA territory and that Israelis are recognizing his efforts.

Bush is loathe to let continued fighting in Israel interfere with the hard work of building the relationships he needs with moderate Arab nations. The coming week will be crucial for the PA and for Arafat. If the cease-fire holds, Israel may loosen its grip on the Palestinian economy. Increased economic prospects and fewer restrictions on movement for Palestinians, along with Arafat’s efforts, could help push terror groups to the periphery. In the end, it is in Arafat’s best interests to weaken those organizations, such as Hamas, that could challenge his authority. In the coming months, the U.S. could play a crucial role in making sure that the violence that broke out a year ago does not continue. The Bush administration has in recent days pressured the Israeli government to reopen talks, and we welcome the engagement it has brought.

But despite the need to exert pressure for peace, the campaign against terrorism should not compromise America’s close relations with Israel. The coming war will require the Bush administration to make compromises. It will have to choose between old friends and new partners, work through old enmities, and give U.S. support to nations and groups who may have views of Israel vastly different from our own. The U.S. must not, however, push ahead at the expense of its closest allies. The coming war on terror is one that Israel has been forced to fight for years, and our nation will benefit from continued mutual support and collaboration.