Summers Appoints Acting Dean of Divinity School

By Anat Maytal, Crimson Staff Writer

William A. Graham, Albertson Professor of Middle Eastern Studies and Professor of the History of Religion, has been appointed acting dean of Harvard Divinity School.

Graham, also Master of Currier House, will hold the position until President Lawrence H. Summers’ appoints a permanent replacement.

“Bill Graham is an outstanding scholar, teacher, and talented administrator whose judgment and effective leadership style win wide admiration and praise,” Summers said in a statement released late last month, adding that he was grateful for Graham’s willingness to take on the short-term role.

Graham reported that he is “pleased to respond to President Summers’ request to serve the Divinity School.”

The school’s previous leader, the Rev. J. Bryan Hehir, stepped down to become the President and CEO of Catholic Charities, U.S.A., the largest private network of social service organizations in the U.S.

Graham hopes to “build on the achievements of his [predecessor’s] excellent tenure and the positive work that he did in working with faculty and staff in a difficult time for the school.”

Graham said his ultimate goal as acting dean is to maintain the Divinity School for his permanent successor.

To be acting dean involves not only maintaining current initiatives, but ensuring a solid situation for the permanent dean to inherit, he said.

Graham currently is the chair of the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

He also chairs the College Council of Masters.

While he expressed concern about juggling his responsibilities, Graham said he plans to continue as Master of Currier.

He will also teach his scheduled spring course in the College Core Program.

—Staff writer Anat Maytal can be reached at maytal@fas.harvard.edu.