Play Fair, Augusta

Augusta National must alter their membership policy to end gender discrimination

By The CRIMSON Staff

The recent statement by Sanford I. Weill, the chairman of Citigroup, that he supports the acceptance of women for membership in the elite Augusta National Golf Club marks a small victory for women’s lobbying groups who have been attempting, unsuccessfully, to end gender discrimination at the club. Augusta National is the site of golf’s annual Masters Invitational tournament, and Weill is the first member to speak out against the club’s policy. Weill’s courage should serve as an example to other members of the club and to the wider golf community, who should emulate his call.

Although Augusta National and other private clubs have the legal right to restrict their membership along gender lines, it is morally repugnant to do so. To base membership decisions in any institution along gender lines, whether it is explicitly stated in membership rules or not, is discrimination pure and simple; the entire golf community should push for an end to Augusta National’s reprehensible admission criteria.

Women’s lobbying groups attempted to pressure Augusta National by demanding that the Masters’ three main advertisers drop their sponsorship of the tournament. As a result, Augusta sought to inure itself from external pressure by abandoning the sponsors. While it cheers us to know that the Masters will be televised sans commercials, Augusta National’s attempt to insulate itself must not be allowed to succeed.

Augusta National is still vulnerable to outside pressure from professional golfers, among others. Professional golfers have the power, and the responsibility, to boycott Augusta National—and the tournaments that are held there—in order to end gender discrimination.

In the end, regardless of how much pressure lobbying groups and golfers can bring to bear, actual change can only come from inside the club. It is not too late for other members of Augusta National to speak out. It is therefore crucial that more courageous public statements like Weill’s come from golfers and club members alike.

There are always other battles to fight, of course; there are country clubs that still discriminate on the basis of race, religion and other factors. But the principle is the same throughout, and although private clubs’ legal right to be exclusive is protected, society has the responsibility to pressure these institutions to reform their practices. America’s past is marred by discrimination in many forms, and every step away from that legacy is tangible progress. One member of Augusta National has bravely taken a stand; hopefully many more will follow.